Does size matter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happysoap

Reaction score
Recently my customers have been complaining that the size of my bar soaps could be adjusted and that it is a little hard to use at first. Until the edges wear off and it melts down to a rounder shape. Dimensions of my soaps are 6 x 6 x 4 cm / 2.4 x 2.4 x 1.6 inches and weigh about 100 gr / 3.5 oz. They look very similar to this pic. Maybe just a bit wider. Is this something I should be concerned about?

3bars600.JPG

ES IT IS! If your customers are complaining, you need to change something. If it's only a couple of people, maybe try making a batch that usually sells well but in a different shape and see what happens. You can keep the volume the same, just change how it is spread.

I think I would also find it a little bit hard to use to be honest. Mine are (cms) 8x5x2 which I find sits well in the hands and works for smaller people, too.

If more than one customer has complained about it, and IF (this is a BIG IF) these are not the types of people to complain about every **** thing under the sun, then you should seriously consider their concerns.

Most people won't express their concerns to a business - they'll just complain to their friends and not buy from you again. I actually think you're lucky your customers said something (though it probably doesn't feel that way.)

Good luck!

If only one customer has complained, I'd probably chalk it up to their personal preference. More than one - yeah, try offering some different sizes.

I got out my ruler and that's a small bar of soap, though! Mine are (roughly) 3x3x1. Maybe it's because they are more cube-like and less bar-like?

If only one customer has complained, I'd probably chalk it up to their personal preference. More than one - yeah, try offering some different sizes.

I got out my ruler and that's a small bar of soap, though! Mine are (roughly) 3x3x1. Maybe it's because they are more cube-like and less bar-like?

My thoughts also. Although appealing to the eye, the shape may be more difficult to deal with in use. Some of my bars that have been cut a bit thick were not as easily handled when new as after a few uses.
Perhaps offer up the same soap in different sizes and see what is most popular.

I've cut some that are difficult to use. Too big or awkward in the hand. For myself, I just cut those bars in half. For a customer, you could already have them cut in half, rather than instruct them to cut them in half. Just put the two pieces in a package. I only mention this as it looks like you have a good mold and a cutter. Until you can play with different shapes,sizes, or molds, your bars look thick enough to cut into 2 slices to me. I could be wrong though, as I have purchased some things from ebay that look very much larger in the photo than what I receive, lol.

To me they look twice the size of a 'normal' bar. I think it is appealing to the eye too but if they was to be chopped in half I think it would have the same eye appeal but be easier to use. I have a hard time holding onto things as is so I would probably not buy it again if it made it harder to hold onto. And I only say that because it already frustrated me my arm gives out and if can do one thing even minor to prevent it or place the blame on I do. I think they would look great cut in the middle instead of down the middle length wise. Maybe still awkward to hold though I would have to actually have one to see. Customers are who keep the money coming and able for you to buy the fun supplies so I would aim to please ;) Or market it as double the bar or something maybe idk. I think I myself looking at the bar and given the price was standard I was getting a super deal though size wise.

I have a tough time with chunky soap like that. Even the standard 1" bar can be difficult for me but if I round the edges with a veggie peeler then its not so bad. Maybe try a 2.5 x 3 x 1 and rounds the edges down a bit, you could even send a sample bar (uncolored/unscented) to the people who have complained and see if they approve.

I do find that there are some cuts that, while mathematically they work to my advantage, are just hard to hold or use in the shower. It is easiest for me to hold bars that are no bigger than 2" x 3" x .875 to 1" (not sure what that is in metric). Or the size of a deck of playing cards. Anything larger is hard for me to hold/use, nor does it fit in my soap dish well. Unfortunately most of my molds make a slightly wider bar. I too would try different sizes of the same soap and see which ones the customers like. If you go to markets and places where you see/talk to your customers, engage them in conversation about the bar size/shape and see what they prefer. Once you know what appeals, and will probably be a wide variety of preferences, you determine what you want to do, 1 size or a selection of shapes/sizes. Once you see what happens you could reduce down to what sells the best.

A couple of people mentioned that they thought the bar was not the best size. Sadly this affects my packaging which I think is apsolutely beautiful. I need to think about this.

I had cut them in two before but then I felt like they got spent too fast and I had a bunch of soap leftovers in the bathroom.

A couple of people mentioned that they thought the bar was not the best size. Sadly this affects my packaging which I think is apsolutely beautiful. I need to think about this.

I had cut them in two before but then I felt like they got spent too fast and I had a bunch of soap leftovers in the bathroom.

Why not post a picture of your packaging too so we can see it. Maybe someone can suggest another way to make what you have all work perfectly? Another set of eyes never hurts. Who said you have to change it all...maybe what you have will be killer but you just need a few tweaks or maybe its perfect as it is already...hey you never can please everyone! ;)

Latest posts

Back