Fragrance oils and candle specific fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Gurl

Reaction score
I have a lot of fragrance oils that I don't know if they are candle friendly or not. What happens if they are not? Is it the scent throw that doesn't work, or does something bad happen?

I looked up on Brambleberry one of the scents I bought. It says not safe for gel candles. Does that mean I can use it in regular candles? I couldn't find where it said they were all candle safe, maybe I need to look harder.

The candle class said the ratio is .5-1oz ppo.

Some fragrances are manufactured only for soap. They would not be safe for candles due to the ingredients used or the flash point. If you know the manufacturer, look at their web site to see if they are candle safe. Gel candles safe fragrances are not always good to use in other types of wax. If it's not listed, I would email the vendor and ask.

The thing about using regular candle scents in gel candles has to do with whether or not they are "polar" scents ... not to get too confusing with this, simply put, regular candle scents in a gel candle can have a tendency to move through the gel and settle at the bottom of the candle. They don't do this in wax candles, because the wax is stable and firm, but gel is not, so they can sink. When this happens, the f/o becomes concentrated near the bottom of the candle, making it so that the gel that is left at the bottom has WAY too much scent in it than what is safe and it can ignite if the temp. exceeds the flashpoint of the scent.

Although many people still use regular candle scents in gel candles, it's really not the safest route to take ... also, they can cloud your gel ... so, there's the other issue.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

Back