Olive Oils...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dOttY

Reaction score
Newbie Question again....

Which Olive Oil is best, or do you prefer? Extra Virgin, Olive Oil, or Pomace Olive Oil?

I don't even know where I'd source 'Pomace Oil' from, here in Australia!

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations.

Thanks! :)

To be honest Dotty ... IMO ... the cheapest!

I buy the 4 kg containers when they're on special at woollies and coles. Usually I buy olive oil, but I have some EVOO and some light OO.

I've made plain soap from both OO and EVOO ... and so far I prefer the OO.

I, too, buy whatever's cheapest. I can get olive pomace at the chemical distributor where I buy my other oils and lye, but it's more expensive than going to Sam's and buying Bertolli. I pay a little more for the "light" when I'm using a pastel color and don't want the yellowish color of the regular to interfere.

I keep the EVOO for salads. It is too expensive for me to use in soap and I would rather eat it! I use the regular olive oil for soaping and I avoid the pomace completely. I believe pomace olive oil may be chemically extracted from the remaining pits and skins after all other pressings have been done.
You have good questions, Dotty!

Thanks Guys! I will stick with the 'light' OO.(EDIT: I'll meant to type, I'll stay away from the LIGHT OO, and go with OO or EVOO) Might go to Aldi and check out their OO and their Baking Paper tomorrow.

I started using the light olive oil as I was liking the white soap that it created but I've found that the soaps are not lasting long before getting a rancid kind of smell so I've stopped using it. I'm mainly using the Aldi Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil which is $18 for 3 litres. I know it's fresh and I know it's Australian. :wink:

The Moro 4 litre varieties are usually $20 these days but I feel very strongly that I should be supporting Aussie growers before we lose yet another industry and it's only a few $$$ more.

Ohhh thank you so much Bubbles! I'll take that on board, re: 'light' OO.

I'm heading to Aldi today! Baking paper and OO to be had.

Have an awesome week :D

I bought mine from Woolies previously but have now got onto pomace from the fruit shop. Its $10 for 4 litres and I can't tell any difference from the OO or EVOO. I think the Italian type fruit shops sell it that sell all the other small goods in the tins.

I don't use the cheapest because I've been burned. The worst was Mazolla or whatever it is from Walmart. I tend to stick with Bertolli. You can buy a big container of it from Walmart.

You have to be careful of aldulterated olive oil. And I think that the cheaper the olive oil the more chances of it being aldulterated.

carolyntn - our supermakrets sometimes have specials when EVOO is the same price as OO. Is good to buy it at those times!

Ok, so I've bought some standard OO. I've looked at EVOO, but all the bottles are coloured, so I can't see if it's the same colour as OO. Can someone help me out?

I was buying 'Light', or 'Extra Light', because of the really light colour. But as a previous comment has pointed out, it can become 'rancid' with time...

What are you looking for Dotty?

I only buy the 4 kg tins (Berlotti is the brand I think), so have no idea what the oils look like. I've recently made a batch of EVOO castile and an OO castile ... the OO is the lightest colour, incredible for a person who's not into light coloured soaps!

I just kinda assumed, that using the lightest oils, would increase the chance of a whiter soap. Without using TD, that is.

Hopefully I become more like you Kaz, and develop a preference to dark soaps!

I was surprised that the OO casile is lighter than the EVOO. I'm sure someone will know about the science of why this happened ... but I have no idea.

I guess my love of dark soap is due to my some of favourite FO's having vanilla in them and I love them turning deep brown naturally! Although I also love use pop micas to colour swirls, balls and other embeds for these naturally 'turning dark' soaps!

Latest posts

Back