Dilute the Meyenburg?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnitchyFingers

Reaction score
So, I've been away from soaping for quite some time and am all out of my own fabulous stuff, so it's high time to get soaping this weekend. I have a whole case of Meyenberg's evaporated cans downstairs and I'm going to make another attempt at some great GM soap.

Silly, new-to-milk question here... the can of Meyenberg says to dilute with equal parts water to make whole milk. Should I do that before freezing to use with my lye? Or leave it concentrated? I'm thinking if I leave it concentrated... it'll be awfully creamy and thick and never cure right. Which is what I think I did last time... (shuffles off to consult her notes).

TIA!

I would use equal water, and mix the water with the lye... and skip freezing the milk, and add it straight to the oils. Then add the lye water to oils/milk and blend. I say this because I have awful luck burning my milk when adding lye to it, even when the milk is frozen.

that's my two cents! don't know if it's worth two cents!

tasha said:
I would use equal water, and mix the water with the lye... and skip freezing the milk, and add it straight to the oils. Then add the lye water to oils/milk and blend. I say this because I have awful luck burning my milk when adding lye to it, even when the milk is frozen.

that's my two cents! don't know if it's worth two cents!

Sounds like very sensible advice :)

That is exactly what I do when I use the Meyenburg milk, Tasha! The canned goatsmilk makes a nice bar of soap. Be sure and have your molds ready because it will trace quickly.

Back