dreaded RED spots?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, would need to know what went in
looks like it could be goat's milk, could be sugar, who knows :wink:

Sorry..

Oil base was olive, soybean, castor, shea butter, palm & coconut w/ a very small amount of menthol crystals melted in. Water base was 50% (powdered) goats milk, and the other 50% a mixture of aloe and flat rice wine. A few other things were added but not until after these red spots occurred.

Another thing that concerns me, is I peeked several hours after pouring into my mold and nothing was happening... I keep reading about people that peek, and they can see something funky happening (the gel stage), but my soap isn't doing anything at all... Looks exactly as it did when I poured it only a little dryer.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking...

I'm thinking it could be the powdered milk... did you stir by hand or stick-blend? did you get to trace? thin or thick trace? it looks a little lumpy... like something not properly dissolved... stick blending should get it nice and smooth and all these whizzed up... hope it works out!

I have a stick blender, but wanted to try it by hand this time around... It was a little lumpy. And I did reach light thin trace (after mixing about an hour) before it went in the mold.

You think I might need to rebatch it?

i'm guessing it's the milk powder, too. in the future, if you use a stick blender, it probably won't be as much of an issue, as that chops everything up really, really nice. i've mixed with a whisk when using powdered colorants and the color barely came through, but then threw the sb at it, and it went waaay dark with color. i add my gm powder after sb'ing the lye in for a few seconds, to be sure it gets enough time being blended before trace happens.

Well, I checked on it this morning and it seems to be hardening up just fine.. Might even be able to cut it tonight. Pretty sure I picked all the red spots out before trace, so we'll just see what happens I guess.

Definately using the SB next time!

DOS happens over time, not overnight.. and definitely not while cooking.

That said, your spot looks like DOS but I doubt it is. Specks of burnt milk make more sense....

i wouldn't worry about it being soft like that. all mine with goat's milk (well, i do powder, can't say for liquid gm) have been soft like that. just makes it easier to make soap balls out of the scrap and trimmings/shavings :)

they harden up as evaporation and curing takes place

Latest posts

Back