January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.
12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.
13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!
14. SoapAddict415
15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!
16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'
17. neonstudy - First challenge woo hoo
18. SunRiseArts ��
19. Mommycarlson - Fine, you talked me into it!
20. Scard- Time to get my feet wet?!
21. Traumabrew
22. Artemis-- oh, alright... I'll play

So, I was making my soap dough and realized that I had the right number of colors for this challenge! I wasn't interested in the challenge, but now that I had the soap right there in front of me, how could I not try?

I need one more toilet paper roll to try that for making color columns. I've got the two I have so far all wrapped up with packing tape inside and out, so hopefully they won't get too soggy and floppy (and to keep any bits of paper out of my soap).

Kittish, when I used tp rolls, I didn't tape them. They did not get soggy or floppy at all. I even saved them thinking I'd use them again and they got even more firm with the soap coating. After a while I threw them out because I did not use them again.

Any one else super excited to see the entries? Reading through all the techniques used, I can't wait to see the different results that everyone gets.

Yes! I came looking for the entry thread even!

I did make one more soap that may possibly be an hidden heart. It's my first rimmed soap that I made today. So I may enter the one I made last week, or I made like this one even better, who knows?

But it'll probably be last week's effort first just because I can change my entry later. AND I want to post pictures!

I'm going to take one more run at it, using the cardboard tubes. If it doesn't work out well, I'll use my second attempt as my entry. It's got several nice, clear hearts but I want to try to see if I can get them a little more uniform in all the bars.

Oh, my second try was trouble from the get-go. Ugh. I'm expecting it to be a muddled mess. :think: Let's hope it looks better when it's cut tomorrow than it did going into the mold tonight.

Read the rules in Post #1. Add your name to the sign-up list -- the last version is in Post #141. And get your soap made -- you only have a few days to participate!!! :)

1. Kittish

2. dibbles - <3 this!

3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!

4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.

5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....

6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!

7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.

8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time

9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.

10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!

11. Primrose - yep I'm in.

12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.

13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!

14. SoapAddict415

15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!

16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'

17. neonstudy - First challenge woo hoo

18. SunRiseArts ��

19. Mommycarlson - Fine, you talked me into it!

20. Scard- Time to get my feet wet?!

21. Traumabrew

22. Artemis-- oh, alright... I'll play

23. KattChaos

IMG_20180121_071045.jpg My smallest batch ever . I hope I did the swirl right. I used toilet paper tubes but I think my heart's may be closer to the bottom than the center. I'll find out tomorrow when I come home from work.

My trial #2 turned into an expert study in how to make vague blobs, not cute hearts. I can only see faint muddled traces of my brilliant color scheme. ;)

I'm trying to look at the bright side -- the colors aren't horrible, the blobs aren't obscene, and the soap smells good.

I have yet to cut my third soap that should have hidden hearts in them. It was also my very first ever rimmed soap, so I am excited about this soap on several levels. So far so good as a rimmed soap goes, but since it's just out of the oven and not firmed up enough for cutting, the hearts remain to be seen. With this one, I used the 'create the heart before covering it up' technique. I just hope I cut the bars in the right places because I did not mark the mold where to make the cuts and don't even remember how many layers of hearts I made (3 or 4 probably).

I am anxiously awaiting the opening of the entry thread so I can see everyone's creations.

I wasn't going to try a third time, but I had time to make soap yesterday. One of DH's favorite FOs is BBs Rustic Woods and Rum and I haven't made any for a long time so thought I'd do that. I decided to try the challenge one more time. RW&R discolors, so I decided to use sandalwood for the colored part. I used my pipe couplers again. I've never thought of RW&R as an accelerator, and it really isn't, but it moves along a bit quicker than the SW. Since the base batter was thicker than the batter poured for the hearts, it kept everything together very nicely when the couplers were removed. I ended up with six bars with hearts just the way I've wanted them to be all along. I'm so glad I tried again, and thought I'd pass along what worked for me in case anyone else is still trying.

Now that I know what my entry will be, here are my other two tries. The pink one is Black Raspberry Vanilla, the green is a lemongrass and cedar EO blend. Sorry the first one is sideways.

heart challenge_0888.jpg

heart challenge_0887.jpg

My post of fails .... :(

dibbles those are amazing!

Here are two attempts, I decided to go with my column one.

The CP one the background was supposed to be hot pink, not pale, and the neon mica I have is water soluble, and forgot to premix, so I have lots of specs. And I hate that.

My MP is ok, but I had trouble slicing it .... still not happy.

I may still give it one more try ....:think:

DSCN2192.JPG

DSCN2190.JPG

DSCN2195.JPG

Latest posts

Back