~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Best way to dilute mica colorant

Old 11-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
jcandleattic

Liked 707 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
I'm lazy so here's how I do it.

Grab one dixie cup for each colour. Add the different micas to each cup.

Prepare lye solution, heat oils for recipe amount.

Once oils are melted, add 2 tbsp of melted oils to each dixie cup. Stir well with mini spatulas.

By taking the oil directly from my recipe, I don't need to fiddle with the superfat.

Then pour my batter into each dixie cup, stir up well, and proceed with pouring.
This is basically how I do it too, and this way I don't have to add any extra ingredients to my labels, like I would if I mixed with an oil that wasn't part of my recipe or if I used glycerine.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Traumabrew

Liked 73 Times on 30 Posts

I also use the dixie cup method (so much easier to toss them out instead of washing them). But I dont take the oil from my recipe. I use 1-2 tbsp of oil, usually sunflower or almond and mix it with my colors. I only calculate my soap with a 5% SF. My mica oils never exceed 1 oz total. So, in my recipes, this adds maybe 1 to 2 % extra which bumps me to a 6 or 7% SF. I have never had any issues with oil separating. Also, I usually unmold after 24 hours. I do use sodium lactate in every batch.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 977 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellySoapCo View Post
I usually just use water because I soap at room temp so my oils are a little thicker. They don't like to mix with powders very well.

I would like to thank you for this, because it never occurred to me to mix it with water. But I had a set of mica gifted to me, that I had issues dispersing with the oil, and I tried the water (subtracted from the amount of water I use in the lye), and realized these micas are water dispersible, and not oil dispersible!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #14
Highfive

Likes Given: 9

I am new to soap making and found it easier to.

Prepare lye solution, heat oils for recipe. (if necessary) lye melts oils

Once oils are melted, add 2 tbsp of melted oils to each dixie cup. Stir well with mini battery operated whisk.

By taking the oil directly from my recipe less for me to worry about.

Then pour my batter into each dixie cup, stir up well, and than proceed with pouring the batter from the Dixie cup into the container set aside for mixing the color swirls or multi colors.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1502 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfive View Post
I am new to soap making and found it easier to.

Prepare lye solution, heat oils for recipe. (if necessary) lye melts oils

Once oils are melted, add 2 tbsp of melted oils to each dixie cup. Stir well with mini battery operated whisk.

By taking the oil directly from my recipe less for me to worry about.

Then pour my batter into each dixie cup, stir up well, and than proceed with pouring the batter from the Dixie cup into the container set aside for mixing the color swirls or multi colors.
I'm glad my advice was useful to you.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #16
amd

Liked 691 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

I used to pre-mix my mica but now I just dump it in unless it is oil dispersable/locking. When I premix, I use plastic snack size baggies and the color and oil or water (water was my preference), zip it closed and mash away until there are no clumps. When I add it to my soap batter I clip a corner of the bag and squeeze it all into the batter. Seems like I get more of the colorant into my batter, whereas when I tried with cups it seemed a lot of color was not getting all the way out of the cups unless I took a bunch of time to scrape it all out. (I'm lazy.) Plus cups take up more space in my garbage (again, lazy. I take my soap lab garbage out as little as possible, nothing stinky goes in there.)

Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #17
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1332 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I used to pre-mix my mica but now I just dump it in unless it is oil dispersable/locking. When I premix, I use plastic snack size baggies and the color and oil or water (water was my preference), zip it closed and mash away until there are no clumps. When I add it to my soap batter I clip a corner of the bag and squeeze it all into the batter. Seems like I get more of the colorant into my batter, whereas when I tried with cups it seemed a lot of color was not getting all the way out of the cups unless I took a bunch of time to scrape it all out. (I'm lazy.) Plus cups take up more space in my garbage (again, lazy. I take my soap lab garbage out as little as possible, nothing stinky goes in there.)
I use stainless steel condiment cups to mix my colors, whether with oil or water. I have one of the mini frothers that works great for breaking up clumps and making it nice and smooth. I also have silicone spatulas that are the perfect shape for the cups, only takes a couple of swipes to get almost all of the color out. Two or three more small cups in my soap dishes doesn't make really any difference to me, and no trash piling up! Plus, I can also use the cups to mix fragrance or clay or whatever other add ins I want to prep.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #18
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2455 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 1889

I use the SS condiment cups, too, Kittish. I like them so much. I use them for fragrances, as well because I don't have to worry about the FO melting plastic. When we closed the restaurant, I kept a couple dozen of those little cups, knowing I would have a use for them, and I am so glad I did. I just wish I'd had the foresight to keep a few more 'monkey dishes' as I only have 3 and use them constantly.
Kittish Likes This 
Old 01-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #19
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1332 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 841

One of the things I really, really like about using stainless bowls and mixing cups and such is that I am a klutz. Seriously a klutz. I have broken more than one of those 'unbreakable' corelle plates and bowls (one of them broke on carpet! ). I broke our dog's food bowl the other day, thick heavy stoneware bowl. She now has a plastic bowl for her food. I have very nearly eliminated actual glass cups and glasses from my kitchen, because I am a klutz (most of the actual glass got put away in the back corner of a cabinet- I know I am a klutz so take proactive precautions anymore). SS is darn near impossible for me to break, or even significantly damage.

People Like This