~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Labels and Packaging > Different olive oils

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
bathgeek

Liked 130 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
bathgeek, since you sell, if you are labelling, you must follow the labelling laws/regulations for your area (my area too. ) on how you label your soaps, so you would need to find the INCI name for the oil used.
If confused about labelling, Marie Gale has and excellent book and blog about US guidelines to labelling.
http://www.mariegale.com/

I have that book and need to read it again. Soapmaker 3 doesnít make the distinction between the different types of olive oils and calls them all the same INCI, so I guess thatís the direction Iím going in. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
dixiedragon

Liked 3747 Times on 2164 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I have wondered about this since I started soaping - a number of sources say NOT to use extra virgin olive oil, but not WHY. Is there a difference in the oleic acid?
EVOO won't ruin your soap or anything. But EVOO is a more flavorful olive oil, which is wasted in soap. Also, pomace is fattier, which is something you want in soap. I don't soap with pomace, because I soap with the Grade A OO from Costco.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
bathgeek

Bah. My recipes werenít working out right even though Soapmaker (and Soapee) think that EVOO has the SAP of pure olive oil. However, EVOO is 1% or less fatty acids (says definition I read on internet), whereas most pure olive oil is between 1-2%. No wonder itís taking FOREVER to harden...

Old 12-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #14
SaltedFig

Liked 599 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Hi bathgeek.

That doesn't sound right ... it should be nearly 100% fatty acids if it's Extra Virgin Olive Oil (first press etc.).

It does take forever to harden if it hasn't been gelled (and sometimes, even if it has). I have never tried pomace, but from what I've read, it IS a lot quicker.

Rest assured, that if you do have true EVOO, it will still turn into an olive brick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgeek View Post
Bah. My recipes werenít working out right even though Soapmaker (and Soapee) think that EVOO has the SAP of pure olive oil. However, EVOO is 1% or less fatty acids (says definition I read on internet), whereas most pure olive oil is between 1-2%. No wonder itís taking FOREVER to harden...

Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
bathgeek

Default Different olive oils

Hmm. My pomace set up in less than 24 hours, but the EVOO soaps are taking well over 48. Iíve been using pomace a long time though, so maybe Iíve just forgotten how long it takes when it isnít pomace. That, and my fragrances tended to accelerate...

I have taken to blending my EVOO with my pure olive oil and it is definitely better than using only EVOO. Pure EVOO just stays slushy way too long IMHO.

On the plus side, my wire cutter slides through soft-ish soap like butter whereas I usually have to really fight it if I leave pomace soap a few hours too long.