My first Drop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What I intended to be a mossy green morphed into a 1970's sea foam green that I hate, but I like the actual swirl. I've been looking to try techniques unfamiliar to me, and can't believe I'd never tried this before. I'm going to make another stab at it with colors that I like this time. Ugh(!) on that ugly green in there!

A3UNBcb.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous!! I've been wanting to try a drop swirl for over a year but keep putting it off for some reason. There are so many (so many!) beautiful drop swirl soaps on Pinterest and I often ogle them.

And yours is Pinterest-worthy, too! If I may... what kind of trace were you at when you did the drop? And did you try to intentionally go over the same "drop pattern" with each color so they'd run into each other or did you pour more willy-nilly? I'd appreciate any insight because you nailed it!

Absolutely gorgeous!! I've been wanting to try a drop swirl for over a year but keep putting it off for some reason. There are so many (so many!) beautiful drop swirl soaps on Pinterest and I often ogle them.

And yours is Pinterest-worthy, too! If I may... what kind of trace were you at when you did the drop? And did you try to intentionally go over the same "drop pattern" with each color so they'd run into each other or did you pour more willy-nilly? I'd appreciate any insight because you nailed it!

Thank you! I had to teach myself to not be afraid of a thicker trace. It was a pudding-like consistency when I poured. I have always felt like fast acceleration was at hand when I've reached that consistency in the past. I really just willy-nilly'd it. Now that I have a better feel for it, I'm going to try to be more deliberate the next time. With better colors. And no sea foam green.:headbanging:

Thank you for the tips! Like you, I am afraid of thicker trace and think the end of my working time is looming when soap starts to thicken. Full panic mode ensues, and then things go haywire. A lot of my swirl design soaps don't turn out right because I usually take a soap to emulsion, color, and go. The other day I made a batch and it thickened up on me so I thought the planned swirl was doomed. It turned out to be one of my favorite swirls to date, so I think a light bulb is starting to go off (after 1.5 years and dozens of batches). lol Your mention of pudding-like consistency is going to be ringing in my ears when I try this - very much appreciated!

Thank you for the tips! Like you, I am afraid of thicker trace and think the end of my working time is looming when soap starts to thicken. Full panic mode ensues, and then things go haywire. A lot of my swirl design soaps don't turn out right because I usually take a soap to emulsion, color, and go. The other day I made a batch and it thickened up on me so I thought the planned swirl was doomed. It turned out to be one of my favorite swirls to date, so I think a light bulb is starting to go off (after 1.5 years and dozens of batches). lol Your mention of pudding-like consistency is going to be ringing in my ears when I try this - very much appreciated!

After reading your first note, I got a "drop swirl bug" and decided to make another go at it. I may have just made the worlds ugliest soap. I got some new FO's this morning and, of course they were calling my name. I used one from Save on Scents called Scottish Coast. No reviews to be found....looks like it just came out in August? I love the scent.....very green and rich, but, holy cow did it rice and accelerate! Everything just plopped in the mold. There was no dropping into the batter below. And the top is butt ugly and looks like it's full of warts. I just put it up to gel, and I would imagine that it's full of air bubbles inside. We will see in the morning when I cut it. I still have the itch to try it again, but I think I'll used an FO that I know will behave. I'm done "soaping" for today as I have to finish "souping". Pot luck for the hubs at work tomorrow and I'm sending homemade soups. Oh what a difference one letter makes. I'd must rather be doing the "a" than the "u"! Post a pic of your first drop swirl! You have the most beautiful soaps and I can't wait to see what you do with this!

I'm dubious of your "world's ugliest soap" designation since you think the seafoam green in your soap above is unattractive! I happen to think the color combination is stunning. But it will surely be interesting to see how the latest drop swirl turns out after ricing and acceleration - who knows, maybe you've stumbled on a new technique. :) Keep us posted!

Good luck with the rest of your souping... and future soaping!

(and thank you for the compliment - you are too sweet!)

Maybe the first of Many

At least you have the technique, the more specific colors and come along with more. I think the drop swirl looks great. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back