Goat Milk Lotion Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindy- so I made this lotion this morning using cocoa butter and Jojoba Oil as my butter and oil. The lotion thickened up to a thick lotion consistency but then it thinned out to a light face lotion after I added the EO, is that normal?
Also it isn't real moisturizing, I thought using the cocoa butter would help. What ingredients do you suggests I make it thicker/more moisturizing b/c I think what I picked wasn't the best choice?

I would recommend trying Shea Butter instead of Cocoa Butter as Cocoa Butter is a "dryer" butter. Some essential oils can break emulsification or reverse it a bit. So if you want to use that eo then I recommend adding stearic acid at 3%. But with other scents you may want to stay with the original formulae to see how it reacts and just do a small batch.

I have made your recipe twice now with coconut milk and then aloe Vera gel. I used jojoba oil and shea butter. This lotion comes out really nice. It's thick and creamy but not greasy. I use a lot of lotion as I'm near 60 years old and it's winter here in Fort Worth Texas.
Heat and hold makes a huge difference!
Thank you so much for your donation of the recipe and the time to share your process.

I would recommend trying Shea Butter instead of Cocoa Butter as Cocoa Butter is a "dryer" butter. Some essential oils can break emulsification or reverse it a bit. So if you want to use that eo then I recommend adding stearic acid at 3%. But with other scents you may want to stay with the original formulae to see how it reacts and just do a small batch.

Thanks, I used frankincense and lavender and made a 16 oz batch. I will try the Shea instead and see what happens. Thx

This sounds like a nice recipe and I've been contemplating the making of it.

Do you have recommendations for a soft oil?

Would it be appropriate to say use a combination of 2 or 3 soft oils to make the total for the recipe?

I made this a bit over a week ago with rice bran oil and Shea butter and OH! MY! GOSH!!! I love it!!! I have extremely dry skin, especially my hands from frequent hand washing at work, and I am floored at how normal my hands look now! It only takes a couple of minutes for the lotion to absorb and it doesn't feel greasy afterwards. I used lavender EO as well. Thank you SOOO much! Now I'm addicted to this recipe! (Did I use enough exclamation points to convey how much I love this recipe?)

I made the lotion and it's cooling in the sink now! Hopefully my Optiphen Plus is preserve-y enough for goat's milk, I used "Ultra Pasteurized" if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the recipe! It will go nicely with all the goat's milk soap I have stacking up around here :thumbup:

I made this lotion with the same recipe. Added 1% sodium benzoate as there are no natural preservatives available in small quantities in our area,actually in whole country. I added food color to it and peppermint essential oil. I kept it at room temperature. And after 15 days it went mad. It is coming out of the containers.I don't know where i went wrong.please help.

1449570268575.jpg

1449570290629.jpg

My guess is that since there's not a broad spectrum preservative it grew nasties that released gasses which built up pressure which caused the expansion.

ETA: from my research, Sodium Benzoate is primarily an antifungal, and is very pH sensitive, working best at a pH of 3. I don't know if your lotion's pH was low enough for it to be truly activated.

Also, Lotion Crafter says this:
"Sodium Benzoate is not a broad spectrum preservative for cosmetic use and should be combined with other preservatives. If Sodium Benzoate is used as a preservative, the pH of the finished product may need to be lowered enough to release the free acid for useful activity."

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestions.. what if i combine potassium sorbate along with sodium benzoate? I am unable to find here,good preservatives free from parabens.

what about Optiphen plus? Or even Tinosan but you can not let the late one to be in see through jars, It is light sensitive

No..none of these are available here..other preservatives are available.. but for big companies n industries.. not available in less than 20 kilograms packing..and shipping from other countries

Back