Ten layer rainbow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapEh

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/gallery/yszko

Hoping that pasting in the imgur link works... if not, mods, please feel free to delete the post. Internet savvy, I am not.

Assuming this works, some info:
Palm free, organic, vegan recipe. I guess I got feeling fancy :D. It's an olive oil base, with other things thrown in for yumminess. I only had a bit of grapeseed oil, so I did some experimenting and played on soapcalc, making a new recipe with 15% rice bran oil, some cocoa butter, some shea butter... it's absolutely heavenly so far.

I poured each layer, let it set up a bit, then flooded the next over a spatula. The math for splitting up a rainbow soap isn't fun, but the results... wow.

Oh... and because last time I did a rainbow I had major issues because I was working with such tiny portions, I thought this time I'd up the quantity. Have I mentioned math is not my best subject? Also it had been a long day, my arthritis was kicking up, but I wanted to push through.

Bad move... sort of. I accidentally doubled my amounts. Each cup on its own didn't have much in it, so I didn't notice.

I knew about how thick I wanted each layer, so I poured that... and then it hit. I had everything all laid out so it was way too late to alter anything. I went forward, grabbing another mold and making it about the same thickness.

Two rainbows later... I've got a LOT of bars, folks. :D

Wow, thank you all for the kind words, I'm blushing!

I saw a notification on my phone that the imgur post had a comment, and laughed at the one saying they wished it was cake -- as I said in my reply there, if I could bake AT ALL (and I'm genuinely hopeless at it, I have SO many stories) I would absolutely make a layered rainbow cake. Probably every week. I'd be fat, but so happy.

This soap was labour intensive, and I didn't nail every bar -- there were places where little bits broke through here and there, but I did get quite a few like the one in the picture. Because of the miscalculation I poured into several small molds, and for whatever reason one of them just didn't seem to want to set up the same way as the other two. The first few layers went alright, but after that it's a bit... chaotic. Honestly, it came out looking almost purposeful and quite funky, and I'm not at all mad at it. I feel like calling that particular one something different, maybe 'Naughty Leprechaun' or something, because it misbehaved :D

Someone on imgur asked to buy my soap, and obviously (because I'm too new, and not only that, the soap isn't aged at all) I said I don't sell, but I must admit that it feels nice to know someone out there in internet land thinks my stuff is nice enough that I *could* sell it. Before now my only critics (other than here, of course) have been friends and family, who don't really count -- they're too nice!

I wanted to test this soap even though it's only a couple of days old, to see if I like this new, tweaked recipe enough to use it again. OOOh BOY yep. It seems looooovely, and I'm super excited to see what it's like in four, six, eight, ten weeks. The recipe it's modified from is actually the first one I ever came up with, and it is soooo lovely. It's a benefit that it happens also to be palm-free, because I have friends who prefer vegan, organic, palm-free recipes if possible.

Latest posts

Back