Kid toy embeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only ever put them in melt and pour so they can be seem through the clear soap. My supplier tells me they are made out of polyvinyl chloride so it should take the heat no problem. The only thing I would be concerned with is the paint from the pony's mane being damaged by the heat of saponification and caustic. If you try it do let us know how it turns out.

I've got a bunch of the little pokemon toys on the way. I'll try a dozen or so in some CP soap and see how it works. Cut the first one open after a couple of days, then cut one open every couple of weeks to make sure the toy isn't getting brittle or cracking or bleeding color into the soap.

Got the toys today. Went through and picked out the dozen worst paint jobs to test with (out of 144 toys). I'll post more pics as I go when I get them embedded in some CP soap.

The grid the toys are on is one inch squares.

pokeembeds-1661.jpg

I figure even if this doesn't work out, the toys won't be a total loss. I have a niece and nephew who both like pokemon. These will make good stocking stuffers if I can't use them in soap.

I can't wait to see your finished results, Kittish! Are you going to post pictures along the way? That would be so cool to follow your progress.

That's my plan. I like having photographic records along with my written ones. I've even printed out a sheet with small pics of each batch of soap I'd made to that point and added it to my binder, and I'll print out another one when I've made 6 or 8 more batches.

So... in light of new information, I'm thinking this experiment is probably going to fail. I'm still going to do it, just to see for sure. However...

Corrosivity to Non-Metals:
Sodium hydroxide solutions attack plastics, such as polyamide-imide (Torlon) (10-100% solutions),
polybutylene terephthalate and polyethylene terephthalate (20-100%), thermoset polyester isophthalic
acid (10-100%), polyvinylidene fluoride (Kynar; PVDF) (70-100% solutions), polyurethane (riged)
(80-100%), and polyvinylidene chloride (Saran) (100%); elastomers, such as polysulfide and
butadiene-styrene (SBR) (10-100%) and soft rubber (30-100%) (52,55); and coatings, such as polyester
and vinyls (10-100%),
coal tar epoxy, general purpose epoxy, epoxy polyamide and phenolic (70-100%).

These toys are vinyl. So are my disposable gloves, and I've noticed the fingertips get all stiff after I use them a couple of times. WILL the toys melt? WILL they crack or crumble? WILL they bleed color into the soap around them? Stay tuned to find out! (I'll make the soap with the embeds in about a week.)

It may sound funny but are there any of dog shape?

I'm asking so because my kid plays a great deal with the robot dog bought earlier and seems to be enjoying it as a great toy. After all, most of us (the kids especially) love to own a live pet and I ended up knowing about it as the best Robot dog as a great toy definitely aided me in making my life easier.

I'd earnestly appreciate if you could kindly please share your feedback. :)

Back