~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Soap and Craft Swap > Home Sweet Home Comments

Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #61
amd

Liked 493 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Send a message via Skype™ to amd

So far I haven't tried any soap (the fiancee gave me a 4 bar limit in the shower and I couldn't bear to try to wash my hands with them and then set them aside). I am so glad someone mentioned the smaller pawprint was a salt bar! I didn't read the label (at all) and thought it was a bath bomb type thing. I have rescued it from the bath box and it is on my cure racks. Everything else I have tried and love - today I am using the girl scout cookie lip balm and soapmaker's cream on my face. I might have to move this one to night time because it is so rich! I used Dixie's yesterday and my face loved it.

Thanks for the nice write ups about my soap. I wish I could say it was one pour, but it was actually 3. I tilted the mold and made an 8oz batch and poured one snow hill. Let it set up for about 30 minutes and then did the other hill. If you look carefully you can see a lovely glycerin line between the two hills. I did the yellow sun as a really thick blob, but one batch did blend a bit when I poured the sky swirl. I tried to color the hills a bit to give them some contrast and try to show the reflections of the sky in the snow, but I was scared to lose the whiteness so they wound up under colored. I was still happy with the bit of contrast and the sparkle that came through in the end.

dixiedragon Likes This 
Old 02-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #62
redhead1226

Liked 126 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaBanana View Post
Ha, thanks for the compliments. Beautiful subjects!
Yes LanaBanana - Love the scrubby too! Love it all! Im going to try to make my comments later after I have time to really sit and make an intelligent remark! I loved doing this swap. It was my first time ever! But certainly not my last.

LanaBanana Likes This 
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #63
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

I just can't decide which item to use next!

I've been using dixiedragon's Jonquil Spring every day since my box arrived; a lovely scent and I like the fact that it has a calendula infusion. Tonight I decided to give Soapmaker145's cream a try and it is nice how it just absorbs right into my skin so fast! My my. Then I had to try CaraBou's lip scrub and I am loving how my lips feel right now.

So many more items to try out and comment on! TeresaT, I can't use your soap yet, I know, but I love them both. Such a pretty mold. I need to search out my empty containers to put the powder into with the EO soaked cotton ball as you suggest, then I'll take it with me when I go to Spring Training in a couple of weeks. It should be a nice adjunct to the not-yet-but-soon-to-be-made DeFunct de Pits deodorant. (My babbassu oil came in today.)
CaraBou Likes This 
Old 02-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #64
redhead1226

Liked 126 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
I just can't decide which item to use next!

I've been using dixiedragon's Jonquil Spring every day since my box arrived; a lovely scent and I like the fact that it has a calendula infusion. Tonight I decided to give Soapmaker145's cream a try and it is nice how it just absorbs right into my skin so fast! My my. Then I had to try CaraBou's lip scrub and I am loving how my lips feel right now.

So many more items to try out and comment on! TeresaT, I can't use your soap yet, I know, but I love them both. Such a pretty mold. I need to search out my empty containers to put the powder into with the EO soaked cotton ball as you suggest, then I'll take it with me when I go to Spring Training in a couple of weeks. It should be a nice adjunct to the not-yet-but-soon-to-be-made DeFunct de Pits deodorant. (My babbassu oil came in today.)
Earlene - Now I remembered why I got the Babassu!! lol - Do we have the recipe down yet for the Defunct the pits experiment? Maybe I should go read the thread again for the 10,000 time! lol
People Like This 
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #65
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I knew the box contains some lovely things but it really exceeded my high expectations. I loved every single item and the write-ups that came with them! Even my husband who normally just wants to know that we have plenty of homemade soap in the house helped me open the box and commented on everything. He was thrilled that we have a guy in the group. He already claimed a number of items but I made him return them until I write my reviews. It'll be a while before I finish. I have kept everything in the original box and started taking things out blindly. I'll do that until I review all the items.

Here are the first 2:
LanaBanana: A perfect package! I can see myself giving them as party favors or stocking stuffers for Christmas. I love the homemade, totally recyclable box and the face scrubby is just precious. I canít believe you made 18 of these. The best part is Iíll be able to use the soap. I might as well admit that I canít use high lard or tallow soaps no matter how much I like the idea of using a by-product of the food industry. I had hoped I could use them in the winter, but my skin started itching like crazy within 3 days. Even the 30 to 40% animal fats that I put in my soaps are problematic for me. Iím hoarding your soap for me. I was so happy to see a palm soap.

Jules: Mixing Neroli with Peach was inspired! I can smell both and they complement each other very well. Itís a mix that Iíll copy since I love Neroli. The colors are beautiful. The celery salt was most welcome. We already used it in 2 soups. We discovered the celery leaf plant 2 years ago and since then, weíve been using it extensively in cooking. This summer Iíll be drying some of the leaves and making celery salt. Thank you for the inspiration.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #66
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I'm happy to see people trying the cream that I sent as my second item. It is a heavy cream that is meant to seal the skin from drying winter air. It evolved as I was trying to make a cream that keeps DH's fingers from splitting open around the nail bed in the winter. The combination of beeswax/butters/oils worked well for that purpose. Since winter is almost over, I lightened the one I sent for the swap a bit by using drier butters and oils and reduced the additives but it is still a heavy cream. It is probably best used at night. The 2% isopropyl myristate is what makes it absorb so quickly. Please keep in mind that you could react badly to any ingredient or combination of ingredients.

I cannot use it on my face because butters or coconut make me break out but I can use everywhere else. I love it in the summer on my feet. I put it on at night and slip socks on for an hr or 2. I give it to friends and family in 8oz tubs and they use it everywhere without any problem. Some version of this cream has traveled to 3 different continents and I haven't gotten one complaint yet.

I have drifted away from using EOs because they have caused more allergic reactions than FOs. I've been using the Vanilla Rosewood FO (from BB) for over a year now without reports of allergic reactions and people just love it. I don't know if it generates a warm feeling in the winter or something else but I'm asked for it repeatedly. If you sell, it is a scent that I recommend trying around the holidays. I seem to be the only one who doesn't care for it in B&B product. It reacts on my skin to generate a burnt sugar scent that I don't like. I just go unscented.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #67
LanaBanana

Liked 113 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker145 View Post
LanaBanana: A perfect package! I can see myself giving them as party favors or stocking stuffers for Christmas. I love the homemade, totally recyclable box and the face scrubby is just precious. I canít believe you made 18 of these. The best part is Iíll be able to use the soap. I might as well admit that I canít use high lard or tallow soaps no matter how much I like the idea of using a by-product of the food industry. I had hoped I could use them in the winter, but my skin started itching like crazy within 3 days. Even the 30 to 40% animal fats that I put in my soaps are problematic for me. Iím hoarding your soap for me. I was so happy to see a palm soap.
I'm so happy you like the little duo! It really didn't take too long to make each face scrubby. Probably 20 minutes or so. I hope the soap jives with you. I've never used animal fats (in handmade soap) so I'm not sure what to expect but I definitely love veggie soap! As for the packaging--I got real friendly with paper, scissors and glue!
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #68
BattleGnome

Liked 304 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Now that I've had a bit to let the soaps breathe (and stop squeeing about everything), I can hopefully give a reasonably unbiased comment about everything. I will note that everything that can still develope ash pretty much has, but I will say that all but one of the soaps I've ever made has ashed over while sitting in my basement. It has been been an absolute treat running down to the basement and smelling everything to see how the scents develops on their own. When I first opened the box everything had a similar floral scent and I found it odd that there was so much similar from such a diverse group of people.

Theresa - I love the odd soft, fresh, sweetness of your soap. It's become very crisp on it's own. I'm very tempted to use it now but I'm forcing myself to hold on as long as possible. Your description of the laurel soap was accurate but had you not mentioned cigarettes I think I would have described it as more of a woodsy undergrowth. Like a forest without the trees. I haven't tried the body powder yet but i know I'll appreciate it this summer.

Readhead - you have made me jealous of everyone who has a partial master of trace, I'm only just starting to figure it out consistently. You've inspired me to try simple but striking designs instead of my usual habit of throwing everything in but the kitchen sink.

Susie - I love the creamy simplicity of your soap. Your scent initially got covered by everything in the box but is now starting to blossom into its own. The Soap2Go is saving my sanity at work. I tend to wash my hands a lot at one of the sites I work at and they only have the super antibacterial soaps (and recently they completely ran out of everything but dish soap).

Steve - love the box and you used my favorite colors in the soap (I got the purple/green one). The scent of your soap has mellowed while sitting out but I think it has also stayed the truest to first smell.

Earlene - I appreciated the hand written labels, you have much more patience than I can muster to write them all out. I had never smelled nag champa before (so I thought) but somehow it reminds me of a new box of crayons and I have smelled that in lotions before. The painting on the truck also held up pretty well and I'm almost sad that I'll have to use it someday but look forward to it if it's similar to the traveling soap. So far that's the only soap I've used from the swap (ran out of hand soap that day and it was awfully convenient timing), I like it but the husband thinks it needs more bubbles - he thinks that about all my soaps.

Soapmaker145 - you have managed to fit all my new favorite scents into one bag, I think I'm going to have to get some peppery FOs in my next order. The orange chili is darkening to an apricot color and looks stunning (and also makes me jealous of simple pours). White tea and ginger was my favorite Bath and Body Works scent in high school. Your "fail soap" just smells stunning (plus was made on my anniversary which makes me want to savor it forever). Your cream absorbs quickly and makes my skin feel divine, it's also another scent to add to the things I need to try.

LanaBanana - you have a soap that smells sweet to me and that compliments the swirls perfectly. I keep forgetting to put the scrubby in the bathroom but it was a sweet surprise to find tucked into the package.

Mx6inpenn - you asked about the tag, it looks great to me. I like the tree logo and how well you matched the packaging to the soap colors. I know I am a bit biased but I think you did an outstanding job with the color choices. I will also add my agreement to the awesome scent and bar size, my hands are kinda small.

Shunt2011 - I love the delicacy of you swirls and how well they play with the fragrance. It reminds me a lot of my inspiration, we used to visit the farm for both cherry picking and apple picking.

AMD - when I first smelled your soap I got a crisp winters scent, now that it's been sitting a week I smell something chocolatey and almost like hot cocoa. I love the image you've created over the hills. After graduating my husband and I talked about moving to South Dakota, now I almost with we had.

Jules92207 - what an unexpected scent combination. The peach isn't very strong but it does lend a sweetness that's different from the neroli in soapmaker's soap. The combination does remind me of a commercial scent but I can't think of what. I've only just put the celery salt in the kitchen but I think I'm going to use it sometime this week.

SnappyLlama - I had been thinking about getting a new soaping spatula but you beat me to it. I got one of the slimmer ones which I hope will get into the corners of jars better than the ones I have been using. I am not to the point where I can dream about making a pine tar soap and I appreciate that you've given me some to sample. After hearing strong reviews about the scent of pine tar I was expecting an actual tar-like scent, it smells like smoked salt to me! I also love your bar shape, would you per chance share which mold you used?

Osso - I love how light but candy sweet this scent is, in it's own way it's almost like a warm day on the lake. You've perfectly captured the horizon without making it obvious.

Carabou - I love the lip scrub. It keeps perfect scrubbing consistency even though it's stupid cold by me (it's a problem I've had with my scrubs). The chai scent is another one that has bloomed while sitting out, it's become very fresh and I can't wait to use it.

DragonGirl - I absolutely love the scent you chose, I know it's supposed to be lemongrass but it smells like pez. The mold is adorable and the perfect size for a hand soap though I don't think I'll leave it by the sink.

DorieteFarm - I love the lip scrub, it feels like a lotion as much as it scrubs. The lotion is wonderful with a unique scent. I've been applying it almost constantly at work and my hands feel the nicest they've ever felt in February.

DixieDragon - when I read the jonquil scent I got worried that it would be overpowering but it's really light an it sticks. The scent lasted 24 hours without becoming cloying. The lip balm is very smooth and smells just like thin mints! The other scent I got was coconut and when I took off the cap to smell it my mouth started watering.
People Like This 
Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #69
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6661 Times on 3747 Posts
Likes Given: 14097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker145 View Post
I'm happy to see people trying the cream that I sent as my second item. It is a heavy cream that is meant to seal the skin from drying winter air. It evolved as I was trying to make a cream that keeps DH's fingers from splitting open around the nail bed in the winter. The combination of beeswax/butters/oils worked well for that purpose. Since winter is almost over, I lightened the one I sent for the swap a bit by using drier butters and oils and reduced the additives but it is still a heavy cream. It is probably best used at night. The 2% isopropyl myristate is what makes it absorb so quickly. Please keep in mind that you could react badly to any ingredient or combination of ingredients.

I cannot use it on my face because butters or coconut make me break out but I can use everywhere else. I love it in the summer on my feet. I put it on at night and slip socks on for an hr or 2. I give it to friends and family in 8oz tubs and they use it everywhere without any problem. Some version of this cream has traveled to 3 different continents and I haven't gotten one complaint yet.

I have drifted away from using EOs because they have caused more allergic reactions than FOs. I've been using the Vanilla Rosewood FO (from BB) for over a year now without reports of allergic reactions and people just love it. I don't know if it generates a warm feeling in the winter or something else but I'm asked for it repeatedly. If you sell, it is a scent that I recommend trying around the holidays. I seem to be the only one who doesn't care for it in B&B product. It reacts on my skin to generate a burnt sugar scent that I don't like. I just go unscented.
I used to have the cracking fingers, also, so your hubby gets my sympathy! I still have this one patch (old scar) on my elbow that no matter what I do stays dry and toughened. Your cream has it back to being almost normal in just a few days since I started using it every night. I may have to beg the recipe from you if I can't come up with something on my own before next winter gets here.

BattleGnome-That is exactly why I created it. To give me something to wash with when antibacterial soaps are the only option. I will be glad to share the recipe, or even ship you some in tubs that you can refill your tube with. I shared the method a while back on the liquid and cream soap forum. The only change I have made is to use a full 5% superfat.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showt...hlight=soap2go

Last edited by Susie; 02-17-2017 at 11:55 AM.
shunt2011 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #70
BattleGnome

Liked 304 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 305

I searched out the thread as soon as someone said there was a thread about it. You've given me the push I needed to get everything for liquid soaps, hopefully by the time I need more I'll have a recipe to experiment with on my own!