Is this DOS in my Confetti Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
Attached is a photo of confetti soap I made this week. After setting out to cure, it was within the next 24 hours I noticed spots that may be DOS. I am having a hard time believing DOS could have developed so fast!

Is it possible these orange discolorations could be anything else?

There isn't a photo? And DOS won't happen that quickly unless maybe you used rancid oils to begin with. Can you post your recipe too? There's likely another ingredient responsible.

Attached is a photo of confetti soap I made this week. After setting out to cure, it was within the next 24 hours I noticed spots that may be DOS. I am having a hard time believing DOS could have developed so fast!

Is it possible these orange discolorations could be anything else?

So sorry, forgot the picture ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425336731.385640.jpg

The recipe:

Avocado oil - 65.49 g. 4.13%
Canola Oil - 65.49 g. 4.13%
Castor Oil - 43.66 g. 2.75 %
Olive Oil - 482.94 g. 30.40%
Rice Bran Oil - 87.17g. 5.50%
Palm Oil - 218.01 g. 13.75%
Coconut Oil - 238.50g. 17.88%
Shea Butter - 65.49 g. 4.13%
Lard - 218.01. 13.75%
Palm Kernel Oil Flakes 56.70 g. 3.58%

Water 33%
Lye Concentration. 29.585%
Super Fat/discount 5%

Are you looking at the bright yellow Orange streaks? Dos is a bleeding nasty Orange, not streaky colorant looking. It's like a brown tea stain that's more Orange in color. It won't happen that fast either.

Fun looking soap:)

Second thought, what was your fo? It may be a discoloring fo caused soap base to turn that color and those places didn't get colorants blended well...so it's showing the discolor fo soap base.

I do not see any DOS or anything that even resembles it. What is it that you see?

Edited: sorry, I zoomed in and I see what you mean. But I second that it's likely your scent causing it. What did you use?

Are you looking at the bright yellow Orange streaks? Dos is a bleeding nasty Orange, not streaky colorant looking. It's like a brown tea stain that's more Orange in color. It won't happen that fast either.

Fun looking soap:)

Second thought, what was your fo? It may be a discoloring fo caused soap base to turn that color and those places didn't get colorants blended well...so it's showing the discolor fo soap base.

I used a fragrance oil called Floral Fantacy. I have used it before with no problem.

I am really glad the consensus is whatever it is, it is probably not DOS.

Latest posts

Back