What you think of this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlicesWonderhands

Reaction score
Im making a chocolate bar that i want to have a nice slip and good bubbles. I had a great recipe but it got lost. ;( ill be adding some clay to this as well as cocoa powder and melted chocolate.

I like the numbers but im nervous about the high amount of olive oil. not willing to substitute or change out any of the oils. but i can adjust the amounts.

Cocoa Butter 15%
coconut oil 23%
olive oil 54%
castor oil *%

Hardness 37
Cleansing 15
Conditioning 60
Bubbly 23
Creamy 28
Iodine 61
INS 147
Lauric 11
Myristic 4
Palmitic 14
Stearic 7
Ricinoleic 7
Oleic 45
Linoleic 8
Linolenic 1

My go-to recipe is 75% olive oil and it's no problem (and only has 5% coconut in it).

It does take a full 24-48 hours to unmold, and sometimes a few more days to cut, but once it hardens up it's like a rock and lasts forever.

thanks for the heads up on the hardening. sounds like this will be what i whip up!

It won't be an issue, but with 62% soft oils, don't get worried if it does take a few days to harden enough to unmold. That's normal, particularly if it doesn't gel.

But keep an eye on it. Gelled olive can get really hard really fast...

Last edited:
Im gonna HP this soap, so this means it will gelled in the pot, right?

Yes, but it can still take time to harden up--just not usually as much. :) HP also means less water discount, so that's a factor, too.

I tossed together a test batch last evening with 75% OO and it's still the consistency of very cold pudding--and I did discount water. While it may be ready to unmold this evening, I'm thinking Sunday is more likely.

Yes, but it can still take time to harden up--just not usually as much. :) HP also means less water discount, so that's a factor, too.

I tossed together a test batch last evening with 75% OO and it's still the consistency of very cold pudding--and I did discount water. While it may be ready to unmold this evening, I'm thinking Sunday is more likely.
Water discount? I normally use what the soap calc calls for. Should I not?

Back