~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > de-funk de pits

Old 09-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #371
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1406 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3518

Thank you Zany

Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #372
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

Okay, thank you for explaining. You might be right, Dahlia. I'm curious to see how your trial works!

godschild Likes This 
Old 10-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #373
uticasoap

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question too much mg?

Does anyone worry about absorbing too much mg through the skin? Since I've used mine, I've been having headaches and bp issues.... I've been reading that it is possible to get too much mg..... do you think it could be my deodorant? If it is that stinks since I do believe this combo works..... stopped using the mg-babassu oils deodorant today and already feeling better w normal bp...

Thanks!

Roseanne
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #374
Gaisy59

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Funny but i too have been having issues. I seem to be breaking out in itchy bumps all over my body. I think i will go deodorant free for a weekend (don't want to stink out my work buddies) and see if the "hives" go down. I sure hope it isnt the mg because i think it works great and i bought two big bags of it!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #375
Gaisy59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaB View Post
I've been having good luck with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar in a spritzer bottle. It couldn't be simpler and once it's dry, the vinegar smell leaves.
I might have to try this if i am reacting to the magnesium. I do have lots of apple cider vinegar. What made you try this for deodorant?

Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #376
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 7120 Times on 3571 Posts
Likes Given: 4634

From what I understand from reading different medical .edu sites, some forms of magnesium, such as Epsom salts, can be absorbed by the skin, but so far I have not read of the same being true of magnesium hydroxide.

The most that I have been able to find so far (from what I consider to be legit sources that have actually conducted tests and published their testing parameters and conclusions), is info from the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology) in their publication entitled, Toxicological Risks of Selected Flame Retardant Chemicals .

If you click on the above link and scroll through the chapter, you'll see where it states that there is no information to be found in regards to the dermal absorption of magnesium hydroxide in either humans or experimental animals, that there are no studies to be found that investigate the distribution of magnesium hydroxide cations in relation to dermal or inhalation exposure in humans or experimental animals, or that investigate the biotransformation of magnesium hydroxide in humans or animals after exposure by any route, etc...

Further down under the heading of "Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization" you'll see where they did, however, happen to conduct dermal tests (the parameters of which are explained in chapter 3 ) in relation to the exposure of skin in direct contact with furniture upholstlery treated with magnesium hydroxide as a fire retardant. Here are their conclusions:

"The subcommittee concluded that Mg(OH)2 is an ionic substance and, therefore, is essentially not absorbed through the skin...."

And down at the bottom under the heading of "Data Gaps and Research Needs" it was concluded that no further research was needed for assessing health risks as they relate to dermal or inhalation exposure to magnesium hydroxide, because their hazard indices (explained under the "Exposure Assessment and Risk Characterization" heading) were less than 1.

I don't know if that helps or not, but that's the only legit/tested info on the subject that I've been able to glean.

If you find that you are having a reaction to the Mg(OH)2, by all means discontinue for a week or so and see what happens. For what it's worth, I for one have not experienced any adverse affects to date (been using my deodorant for about 1 year now).

IrishLass
Dahila Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #377
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1406 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3518

the reason for itchy bumbs is not MH, change your detergent , soap, lotion. itchy bumbs can be caused by ; Stress, yes stress, food allergies, contact allergies (had it after changing my deteregent ) presence of pet in house, yes you can get allergies (contact ) when the dog or cat sleep in your bed, it does not matter that you never had it before, Iam using it for at lest 6 months so is my granchild (eczema) and none of us break out with anything. Irishlass is right discharge it for a 7 days and observe what is happening. Take a bath with addition of oatmeal
Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #378
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5069

And keep in mind that you can get irritation or allergy from other ingredients besides the mag hydroxide. Fragrance can be a culprit, for example.
People Like This 
Old 10-14-2017, 03:28 AM   #379
Gaisy59

Thank you ladies for all the info. I too tried researching using magnesium transdermally on the net and came up with nothing. I did read Irish Lass's report and it was the same conclusion...nothing with regards to transdermal use. I will discontinue for a week and see what happens. I use an earth friendly detergent, make my own soap (coconut oil, babassu oil, almond oil, and lard...unscented), and my deodorant is the babassu/mg mix unscented.

I will figure this out one way or another.
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 10-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #380
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 852 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 3403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaisy59 View Post
Funny but i too have been having issues. I seem to be breaking out in itchy bumps all over my body. I think i will go deodorant free for a weekend (don't want to stink out my work buddies) and see if the "hives" go down. I sure hope it isnt the mg because i think it works great and i bought two big bags of it!
Thanks for posting this! I was bothered with a hives-like rash on my upper chest and cluster-bumps on my face -- one place at the hairline on my forehead; also between the brows on my forehead; also on my left cheek.

I went deodorant free right after reading your post. The facial bumps completely disappeared within 3 days -- and they had been hanging around for a couple of weeks. The rash on my chest has receded to just a line, shoulder to shoulder at the base of the neck. Weird.

I never suspected the deodorant. I thought it was something I was ingesting -- beet juice or a supplement -- I've been trying a few different things. I was really concerned because I've always been blessed with clear skin... no teenage acne... no eczema or psoriasis.. nothing. I'm so happy to have my face back! LOL