~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Labels and Packaging > Australian soap making regulations

Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
SaltedFig

Liked 390 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Default Australian soap making regulations

In Australia, there's a bit of legal stuff you will need to know about before you begin to sell. I've included the links to the labeling regulations as well as a list of the other laws and regulations you will need to know, so you can work your way through them (don't panic, it's not as bad as it first looks!).

Quote:
Regarding labelling: I've noticed some people put the lye in it and others don't. Do you have to put it when you label your soaps? What about P.O. box? Is that legal to use one or it has to be a physical address? I am planning to sell my soaps in the future and I always think about those two question
Before you sell:

Register with NICNAS
to make soap (see https://www.nicnas.gov.au/cosmetics-...nd-soap-making) and pay yearly licensing fees.

Register your business (optional, but you'll need that at a lot of places to get wholesale prices on bulk supplies). You don't need GST registration straight away (until your big enough - talk to an accountant)

Get business insurance, specific to manufacturing soap (hard to get sometimes - talk to a broker or another local soaper)

Try and find a commercial kitchen to work from (and if you are renting, this gets very important), and always be prepared for a site inspection.

Read up on labeling laws (see https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sta...ents-labelling)

And whatever you do, don't ever make a medical claim - that will throw you out of the Cosmetics category and into Therapeutic Goods, which brings you under the authority of the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration), and you really don't want that - the compliance and testing requirements are well beyond most small businesses.

There are some other laws that might be council specific or landlord specific if you are renting that may come into play, but this covers the main (legal) things to think about (and if I've forgotten anything, I'm sure other's will chime in for you).

After all of that, it's actually the non-legal stuff that has the biggest learning curve ... but it's oh so much FUN!

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Tais

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Awesome!

Thanks so much for this post!!

SaltedFig Likes This 
Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Relle
Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 1561 Times on 910 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Here is the edited link to the Sticky at the top of page for soap registration.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=33467

You might also like to have a read of this - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16002
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
SaltedFig

Liked 390 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Thanks for fixing the sticky link Relle (and that second links a beaut!)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 3388

It looks very similar to our Canadian rules. Why people put lye on labels is over my head. In end product there is not lye present anymore, but glycerin is (byproduct) I would not buy soap with Lye present.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Tais

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I completely agree with you, but I was always wondering why people do that

Now I am thinking here: should we put glycerin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
It looks very similar to our Canadian rules. Why people put lye on labels is over my head. In end product there is not lye present anymore, but glycerin is (byproduct) I would not buy soap with Lye present.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 3388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tais View Post

yes glycerin will Naoh times 0.77 so usually it just after water, I put my water at 10-12% then glycerin 8-9% then in descending order .......
Old 10-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #8
Tais

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you for this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
yes glycerin will Naoh times 0.77 so usually it just after water, I put my water at 10-12% then glycerin 8-9% then in descending order .......
Regarding the insurance, do you know/recommend any company here in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltedFig View Post
In Australia, there's a bit of legal stuff you will need to know about before you begin to sell. I've included the links to the labeling regulations as well as a list of the other laws and regulations you will need to know, so you can work your way through them (don't panic, it's not as bad as it first looks!).

Before you sell:

Register with NICNAS
to make soap (see https://www.nicnas.gov.au/cosmetics-...nd-soap-making) and pay yearly licensing fees.

Register your business (optional, but you'll need that at a lot of places to get wholesale prices on bulk supplies). You don't need GST registration straight away (until your big enough - talk to an accountant)

Get business insurance, specific to manufacturing soap (hard to get sometimes - talk to a broker or another local soaper)

Try and find a commercial kitchen to work from (and if you are renting, this gets very important), and always be prepared for a site inspection.

Read up on labeling laws (see https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sta...ents-labelling)

And whatever you do, don't ever make a medical claim - that will throw you out of the Cosmetics category and into Therapeutic Goods, which brings you under the authority of the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration), and you really don't want that - the compliance and testing requirements are well beyond most small businesses.

There are some other laws that might be council specific or landlord specific if you are renting that may come into play, but this covers the main (legal) things to think about (and if I've forgotten anything, I'm sure other's will chime in for you).

After all of that, it's actually the non-legal stuff that has the biggest learning curve ... but it's oh so much FUN!

Good luck!
Dahila Likes This 
Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4825 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

Putting lye on the label depends on how you label, if it is what goes into the pot or what comes out of the pot. I go with the first so lye goes on my label and I have never had a customer not buy a soap because of it. If they ask why lye I just give them the short version of what makes soap, Lye, water fats

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 10-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
penelopejane

Liked 1749 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 2703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tais View Post

Any insurance broker will give you a quote.
Be sitting down when you read it!

People Like This