~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Scent Maturity - EO and Alcohol

Old 10-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
BayBoy

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Scent Maturity - EO and Alcohol

Hey there!

I've been working on an aftershave product that I'm quite happy with. It consists of a blend of about 5 essential oils (30 drops per 4 oz bottle) in a solution that is 1 part grain alcohol (190 proof), 1 part witch hazel and 1 part water.

I have noticed that the scent improves over time, sometimes in as little as a few days after bottling it. I'm pretty comfortable with my process, but I'm just curious about the chemistry of EOs and alcohol.

My question is this: would I get better results if I were to steep the oils in say 80% alcohol and 20% water for a time and then use that solution to produce the 1:1:1 ratio final product? I hope not as this would make production more difficult (and require more math...). But the thought did occur to me...

Cheers

Old 10-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Millie

Liked 377 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2487

Perfumers often wait six weeks or so for the fragrances to mingle and do their magic. I am not sure if the alcohol is part of the magic or just the scents reacting to each other. It is kind of like they go from being distinct notes thrown into the pot, to harmonizing, rounding out harsh edges, and becoming a little abstract/mysterious. To put it lamely, they become greater than the sum of their parts

Old 10-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
BayBoy

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agreed. I just need time and patience