~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > lavender soap

Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
RCK
Bec

Default Coloring Lavender soap naturally?

I would like to color my lavender soap naturally. Can I make a blueberry infusion to go into a lavender MP base with lavender oils and not make a big mess? Thanks, Y'all.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 907 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
I would like to color my lavender soap naturally. Can I make a blueberry infusion to go into a lavender MP base with lavender oils and not make a big mess? Thanks, Y'all.
You could, but I don't think you'd get the sort of results you're hoping for. The blueberry infusion would probably turn brown when introduced to lye. I was sort of set on 'natural' colors when I started making soap, and learned pretty quickly that botanicals don't work all that well, on the whole. Synthetic mineral pigments are, to my mind, every bit as 'natural' as plants, and a whole lot more reliable. Synthetic only means they were produced in a lab, they're identical molecules to the pigments that can be mined directly from the earth, only without the heavy metal contamination that tends to occur in mined pigments.

Oh, I just caught the part where it's going into an MP base. Um... that would probably be a no. And again, I'd like to point out that mineral pigments WOULD work, and aren't, strictly speaking, unnatural.

Cellador Likes This 
Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Seawolfe

Liked 2884 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 3556

Blueberry into MP? I can't imagine that working. I've soaked various things like madder root, indigo and spirulina in glycerine and added that drop by drop to M&P with surprisingly good results, so that might work with alkanet. Or maybe dehydrated blueberry powder mixed into glycerin and added drop by drop. But I'm going to +1 Kittish and recommend mineral pigments or micas if you want consistent results.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 724 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 812

RCK your soap will not turn lavender, it will turn brown.

You can get the water based colors from the craft store. Michael's has a set that has a purple. Perfect for lavender.