Coconut milk instead of water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhawk85

Reaction score
Can I use coconut milk in place of water for my lotion recipes? My daughter is 2 and she's got a rash on her back from cheapo diapers and id like to soothe it naturally before letting a doctor prescribe steroid cream .

Have you tried making a butter or salve? I don't know much about making lotions with a water base but coconut oil does a wonderful job on sensitive skin, as long as it can tolerate coconut.

If the rash is indeed just from the diapers, it should go away on its own once the diapers are removed and kept away. I would recommend, however, that you take her to see her pediatrician if the rash does not improve dramatically within 24 hours.

There are many causes of diaper rash. It sounds like this is a new brand of diaper that you're using and she may be reacting to the chemicals in the diaper. However, if the diaper was left on too long, it could be an ammonia burn from sitting in urine. If your baby has diarrhea, yeast infection, or illness, it could from that as well. Teething can also cause diaper rashes. :crazy:

It sounds like it would be best to switch diapers if you think it's from the chemicals. Changing the diaper more frequently will help with ammonia burns. Some diaper-free time will also help if you're able to do that. Also, I second what HerbalEarthling said amount using a salve -- especially one with coconut oil. A salve will not only condition your baby's bum, but also create a barrier to help with healing. You could just use straight coconut oil. A lotion will sooth temporarily, but won't create a barrier while the inflicted area heals. Avoid wipes with alcohol and fragrance as that can burn the baby's bum. Additionally, if it's from a yeast infection, do NOT use cornstarch/baby powder as that will feed it and make the condition worse.

I hope this helps you determine the cause and solution!

Thanks. Its from switching diaper brands. She's potty training so she's been diaper free all day. Im hoping if i keep.it dry and clean over the weekend it'll clear up.

Latest posts

Back