coconut milk substitution for water...does it work well?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freeze the coconut milk first. I pour it into ice cube trays, then measure out the cubes. Slowly sprinkle the lye over the cubes, and stir, stir, stir. The lye solution will be thicker than when mixed in water as some of the fat in the milk start to react with the lye. Once it's cooled down, proceed with your soapmaking as usual. This has worked for me, but others may have another way.

I use the same method as Ewenique, and have never had any problems. I love coconut milk as a soap additive, it produces such a lovely, mild bar of soap :D

I do it different. I use a pre mixed 50-50 solution (water-lye). I mix the coconut milk in with my oils. I've never had any problems with discolorization. I soap room temp.

I add powdered coconut milk to my oils and stick blend before adding lye. I sometimes get an ammonia smell after unmolding but it goes away in a couple of days. Discoloration is minor if any.

Latest posts

Back