Milk Carton Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used a milk carton for a mold. Does it have to be lined? If not, what happens to the outside of the soap touching the waxed paper? Also, can it be gelled?

It doesn't have to be lined, however, can stick, but since it is so thin, you can just peel it off the soap. Yes it can be gelled. It's been years since I've used a milk carton so I can't remember the texture of the sides of the soap that was against the soap, but I can't remember anything untoward.

This for a mold however, like I said, is very thin, so if it is not supported can bow out due to the weight of the soap batter, so you will need to stablize it somehow. If I remember right, I used boards and rubber-bands. It was quite silly looking, and more trouble really than it was worth, but in a pinch it definitely works.

if it is not supported can bow out due to the weight of the soap batter, so you will need to stablize it somehow...

Unless you don't mind the look. I recently used a cream carton and the bowing is kind of nice. I just poured it, left it alone, and then peeled the carton away. I cut the top off instead of the side and poured like it was a Cylinder. , It was too tall for the oven, though. Please excuse my partial gel.

1513106060746.jpg

I used them a lot before I purchased a loaf mold (already used a cat litter box, too). I think my favorite soaps have come from the milk carton molds and I don't mind the bowing out. They can certainly gel (and even volcano!). I think I'll go back to them because I don't like the size of the bars in my loaf mold--too big. With the carton mold, I could cut the squares in half and have very nice sized bars or even cut them diagonally into triangles.

I don't know if I'm going to try out my idea or not, but it's good to know that is an option for what I want to do. The deterrent is there is a good deal of math involved. Maybe even geometry. I guess you do need it in real life - note to 15 year old self.

The deterrent is there is a good deal of math involved. Maybe even geometry. I guess you do need it in real life - note to 15 year old self.

It's amazing how much math people do without even realizing they are doing it. Like algebra. I know I use algebra every day. In fact most people do, they just don't realize it because it's not written out in a formula like we were used to seeing in school...

Sorry got offtrack.

You've got me intrigued. What are you possibly planning on doing?

I used both the quart size and half gallon size milk carton when I first started soaping. I didn't line it, but I did grease lightly with mineral (baby) oil to make it easier to unmold. The quart size made bars that fit nicely in the hand. For 32 oz: 32 / 1.37 = 23 oz. oils. For the half-gallon, I filled it about 2/3 full, closed the top with a rubber band, and laid it on its side inside a wood box used for mailing wine to support it. Similar to this one:

https://tinyurl.com/yafe364j

Ah, the good ole days. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! :thumbup:

I sent you a PM. This is an idea for Amy Warden's challenge. The entries haven't closed yet, and I'm not sure what I can publicly post until they are closed.

Just an FYI I didn't get a PM, but no worries. When you win the challenge, you can show us your entry. :)

So, this soap by Olga Bashkina (Kundenista) I have been trying to figure out how to make ever since I saw it. I have figured out that I need to use a 4 sided something (such as a milk carton) as a mold, and have it tipped to the right angle. What I can't, for the life of me, figure out is the math - how to increase the amount of batter needed so that the layers are more or less the same. Anyone willing to tackle this? At any rate, if you haven't already done so her blog has some amazing creations and is well worth a look.

Capture.JPG

If u really want to be precise. I suggest you further divide the batter into smaller quantity raising it by 10% each time of smaller parts after colouring.

I mean 5 Gms white
7.5 gms blue
10 gms white
12.5 gms blue.... And so on

They r nothing but layers with the mould at right-angle..
This is what I would do...
How much u want to rise depends on the mould size.. It's up-to u to determine tat. 10% is just an example
Hope it's helps

This might help..
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=559348154397667&id=204645616534591

There were actually two people who made this soap for that challenge. The black and white one you linked to is a chevron pattern which was made in a loaf mold.

The soap I am wanting to create is not simply a loaf at a right angle. Picture a 4 sided mold (like a square column mold or a carton) supported to rest on one corner. There is more to the math than just adding 10% for each layer, but that may be an approach to try. Thanks for the input.

Check out the link.. It said 45 deg angle.. Yes u can make with milk carton. I'm imagining the pours n suggesting... This is something. I wud also try this weekend.. Thanks for ur post..
Very inspiring

There were actually two people who made this soap for that challenge. The black and white one you linked to is a chevron pattern which was made in a loaf mold.

The soap I am wanting to create is not simply a loaf at a right angle. Picture a 4 sided mold (like a square column mold or a carton) supported to rest on one corner. There is more to the math than just adding 10% for each layer, but that may be an approach to try. Thanks for the input.

I think you are right about being set up on one corner.
I think she might do it in a see through mold with the heights of each stripe marked on the outside and just throw away a lot of batter. Note there are only 3 bars so a tilted see through mold wouldn’t have to be too deep. Maybe a see through lunch box? The layers are fantastic but not absolutely precisely equal- the sort of difference trying to line up to a mark might make.

I think the maths to achieve this would be horrendous and not accurate because of wastage. It will be difficult in a milk mold because the sides move and you can’t see.

I think you are right about being set up on one corner.
I think she might do it in a see through mold with the heights of each stripe marked on the outside and just throw away a lot of batter. Note there are only 3 bars so a tilted see through mold wouldn’t have to be too deep. Maybe a see through lunch box? The layers are fantastic but not absolutely precisely equal- the sort of difference trying to line up to a mark might make.

I think the maths to achieve this would be horrendous and not accurate because of wastage. It will be difficult in a milk mold because the sides move and you can’t see.

Yes, I'd have to firm up the sides for sure. I'm not looking for absolute perfection in the batter amounts, just to look even to the eye. Hoping there is maybe some way to get there (approximately) without having to make way too much batter. But I may have to do that if I decide to try this.

Teri Endsley of Tree Marie Soapworks is one who entered a soap in this design. I think she said she eyeballed it, however I know her eye is better than mine. Maybe I'll try it and go for deliberately uneven stripes.

Yes, I'd have to firm up the sides for sure. I'm not looking for absolute perfection in the batter amounts, just to look even to the eye. Hoping there is maybe some way to get there (approximately) without having to make way too much batter. But I may have to do that if I decide to try this.

Teri Endsley of Tree Marie Soapworks is one who entered a soap in this design. I think she said she eyeballed it, however I know her eye is better than mine. Maybe I'll try it and go for deliberately uneven stripes.

First try, go for as even as you can get them and see how it goes. Some of the layers are going to be tiny and problematic because you can only do one layer at a time. I’d have other silicone molds ready for the overflow.
Best of luck!

Back