How much Oils and EOs for bath bomb?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil does leave some emolliency on the skin. It feels like I've applied a light lotion. It's not greasy feeling but this also might have something to do with the oils and butters I use. This is my theory - ewax is used to emulsify oil and water to make lotion. By adding ewax to the oil, it will emulsify the oil as it disperses through the water - at least a little bit. ;) The oil is rinses out of the tub more easily so it is less slippery. Someone else wrote about using ewax for the oil in bombs before I did my experiments. I think it was in a topic about using polysorbates. If I could remember who it was, I would try to find the link for you. I don't think she used as much ewax as I do. I'm sorry but it's been several years since I read her post. I'd actually forgotten about her post. Then after I experimented with the ewax, I searched for more info and stumbled it. I read the post and thought "This sounds familiar". :lol:

My purpose for adding oils/butters is just to make the bath more luxurious as compared to a regular bath bomb. If there is any oil left over, I pour it off into small cavity molds and call them bath melts.

Don't be sorry for asking questions. I know how it is when you're trying to find more information. You're welcome to what I can tell you but I haven't experimented any further. I liked how the 10% ewax into oils turned out and I received good feedback so I haven't changed it.

Dearest Hazel, how much poly 80 would you add to the Soap Queen's recipe?

I'm sorry but I don't know because I've never used Polysorbate 80 (which is why I tried ewax ;) ). Also, I've never used any of Soap Queen's bath bomb recipes. However, I looked on BB's site and it gave a usage amount so I thought it would be better to go with what they recommend.

Here's the link and I also quoted the pertinent info which was given for bath bombs.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Polysorbate-80-P4438.aspx
Finally, in bath bombs, you can add up to 6% as a wetting agent (rather than a traditional witch hazel or liquid oil) to help prolong fizzing in the tub.
However, I did more searching and found a tip from Jan Pace to use Polysorbate 80 at 20% in the comment section about bath truffles. Here's the link and you have to scroll down through other comments to find hers. She posted it Oct 25, 2012 which might help you find it more easily if you want to read it. http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/bath-fizzies/making-bath-truffles-on-soap-queen-tv/

You're probably going to have to experiment with different amounts to find what is best. I'd be interested in hearing how well the Polysorbate 80 works if you make some bombs.

@ steliyana -

You're most welcome! I hope it works for you. If you have time, please let me know how you like the bath bombs. :grin:

If I can ever get around to making them, I surely will post about it and share pics and recipe. Hope yall have a wonderful evening! Thanks Hazel.

You're welcome and you have a great evening, too! This has actually been a good discussion for me because now I'm motivated to make some bath bombs tomorrow. Although, I'm not going to use oils. I just want to make some regular with Epsom salts and I might make some with SLSA. I don't know. I want to make soap so I'll have to see how much time I have before people start staggering through the kitchen and fainting from hunger.

Did you make some baths bombs Hazel? ;) I have had a negative thought concerning citric acid lingering in my head. Not sure how good it is for one's skin. I mean apart from making your bomb fizz, does it have any other good qualities? I powdered very finely all my ingredients as I wanted a very smooth bomb and some citric acid dust fell onto my skin... Ouch! I understand that it is pure powder but still. Not to mention if one has a little wound.. Saying that salt has the same effect, on wounds. I made some ... Well they won't be bombs any more without citric acid... to check the difference. I just had the feeling that something in those bombs is drying my skin, instead of softening it.. Citric acid usually is a synthetically made product. The original one was a product made from grapes.

No, I didn't make them. I got busy with other things and forgot I had intended to make a few.

I don't know about citric acid from grapes. I checked because I wasn't sure and found the percentage of citric acid is minimal in grapes. Perhaps you're thinking of grapefruit? Citric acid used to be produced from citrus fruits but I think most is now synthetic. You could try to find a supplier who carries citric acid which was produced from fruit.

Normally, citric acid is beneficial for skin since it's an alpha hydroxy acid. Also, citric acid is astringent so it's possible it is what is causing dryness. How much citric acid are you using? You could try reducing the citric acid to see if that helps. I bet getting some powder on your skin would sting. Have you ever eaten an orange or a grapefruit and some of the juice squirted into your eye? Believe it or not, it did happen to me. Not a pleasant sensation.

But now reading it I wad maybe wrong... because they do mention citric acid further down. But this one is also said to react with soda bicarbonate. I am confused a bit. Furthermore maybe what you get there in the US is citric acid and what we buy here is this other one, as the name in Bulgarian doesn't help me to know which is which... Haha

Does the citric acid( in my case maybe tartaric) keeps the bath bomb together? The ones that I made just with soda bicarbonate, Himalayan salt and clay, essential oils and a bit olive, crumbled down to dust as I unmolded them. The other ones same ingredients but with acid- hard as rock ????

I think I have to stop making bath bombs looking for the perfect recipe and switch to something else;)

I never thought of citric acid being needed for stability. It does sound like it's necessary since yours crumbled.

If you'd prefer not to use citric acid, why not make bath bags? Images

You could make a tub teas, milk baths, herbal soaks, etc. There are many recipes on the Internet. Below is a link to Majestic Mountain Sage's Bath recipes. It might help you get started or give you ideas.

https://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipe-exec/.State/ListRecipes/cat/Misc/

You're welcome! That's great that you have the lavender! You also might consider making tub truffles or bath melts.

As for the tartaric acid, I don't know what to recommend. You'll have to experiment with different percentages to see which fizz the best.

Back