Bath melts help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhawk85

Reaction score
I made bath melts a few days ago and I think I did something wrong. I was making a small batch to try and the recipe was 1oz cocoa butter and I tbsp oil. I used hemp seed oil. After they hardened I noticed that they melt in my hands. Is that normal or what?

Ok good. I was nervous. Have you ever added e wax to them?

Have you ever made them with baking soda and citric acid?

I have made them with baking soda and citric acid. It's a cool effect because they melt while they fizz. Personally, I hate making bath melts because I find that they melt in the summer and I don't have enough storage space to keep them cool. But I guess that is the point of a bath melt! Lol

Lol right..It's cold enough in my house that I can leave them lying out and they aren't melting. I think I like the ones mixed with baking soda and citric acid better. They don't melt as fast when im holding them.

I use 70g of cocoa butter and 30g of Shea butter and 15-20 essential oils and they are hard as rocks until they hit the bath! I made some a few days before thanksgiving and had them 'setting up' (I noticed it takes a few days to harden completely) in my kitchen. It was over 80* in there and they were still solid not soft I forgot I had them in there haha! But as soon at I put them under the bath water it sank and became liquid. I make them I little silver mini muffin liners and it's the perfect amount for the bath and makes about 8-9 bath melts

What is the purpose of adding baking soda? I just made my first bath melt recipe and it called for baking soda so i followed along. But I'd like to understand the purpose & benefits. Does it matter if I use the correct ratio of baking soda? Or can it vary with still having benefits?

Latest posts

Back