Scents you are looking for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a request for a loaf of soap scented with Egyptian Musk. This is for my dentist so you know I have to keep those wheels greased. Having lived through the 70's my interest in musk is just not there. I'm an amber kinda guy. Any suggestions gang?

Well Google told me ng sells egyptian musk fo. The reviews, however, state it is really light oob and one said faded completely in cp.
What about black amber musk by wsp? Soaps very well and doesnt D. I know it isn't egyptian musk (i havent a clue as to the difference), but it is worth a look at it.

Mx6, that meme is too true and funny.

It is! There's another one out there where the person shaped the shed hair like a dog laying down that I love too.

Definitely possible. I know someone who got her cat groomed then made mittens out of the fur.

Gonna have to find some who spins locally! I could probably provide a very warm hat and mittens to a lot of underprivileged people every year with that fur.

I just got a request for a loaf of soap scented with Egyptian Musk. This is for my dentist so you know I have to keep those wheels greased. Having lived through the 70's my interest in musk is just not there. I'm an amber kinda guy. Any suggestions gang?

The only Egyptian Musk I've used was from Sweet Cakes, and that was in MP. It was strong OOB and in the MP, but I see that they note it fades some in CP. They also don't provide usage rates, so you might want to contact them to see if usage rate can be upped in the hopes of getting better scent retention. FWIW, it wasn't my favorite, but it's not the kind of scent I tend to gravitate to. Others liked it.

CS has an Egyptian Musk that smells nice. It discolors brown but the real problem is the unmistakably yellow lather and water. It just looks dirty. Discoloration can be inconsistent and may manifest itself differently for you. I just checked on my tester. The scent is still nice but light at >12 months. Same for the yellow water.

Gonna have to find some who spins locally! I could probably provide a very warm hat and mittens to a lot of underprivileged people every year with that fur.

Nice idea but you would have to make sure that you state clearly what material those hats and mittens are made of. I'm one such a person that such a gift would send me to the hospital if dander is still present.

The fragrances I've been searching for are:
1. Irish Spring
2. Palm Olive
3. High Society by NEXT. (a perfume, discontinued)

Any idea where I can get any of these PLEASE

Lebermuth sells a good Egyptian Musk but in soap it seizes. It's terrific in lotion, scrubs and oils. Bulk apothecary carries the same one too.

I'm about to update the Fragrance buddy review thread with the description of my process. As I wrote it, I realized that I don't do anything special. I just pour a lot of small soaps. I tried to put some observations that hopefully will help you avoid some of the mistakes I made.

I just read that post and have bookmarked it for future reference. Many, many thanks for writing it. I'm still new to soaping and want to establish a workable system early, rather than having to duplicate efforts because I didn't keep usable notes.

An update on the Linden testers:
-I poured the new Sambucus (Elderflower) from Nurture, the French Lime Blossom from MMS, and the Linden Blossom from SC. I also made a tester with an equal mix of the MMS and Nurture FOs. The first 2 were well behaved with no discoloration. The last accelerated with slight discoloration so far.

I ordered a sample of the Sambucus from Nurture. I like it OOB so I'm looking forward to smelling it in soap.

I just read that post and have bookmarked it for future reference. Many, many thanks for writing it. I'm still new to soaping and want to establish a workable system early, rather than having to duplicate efforts because I didn't keep usable notes.

I ordered a sample of the Sambucus from Nurture. I like it OOB so I'm looking forward to smelling it in soap.

You're welcome. I hope you find it helpful when you start your own testing. The key to long term success is to get a documentation system in place. Don't rely on your memory. I enter my testing plan in advance in excel and I keep a log in word after the fact. I print the recipe from soapcalc and add hand notes to it while soaping particularly if anything unusual happened. It all goes in a notebook where I keep physical records of all orders and batches. Also, it's helpful to keep track of lot numbers if you have them or where you got your supplies.

The NS Sambucus is a drier greener scent than the Linden. My testers are getting better with cure. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Sambucus and the blend with the MMS Linden. The SC Linden is curing into a Darjeeling Tea that might me pretty good if it survives the cure. I'll update when I know more.

Pls has anyone been able to find a non-discolouring Milk Fragrance Oil. I have been searching.

Pls has anyone been able to find a non-discolouring Milk Fragrance Oil. I have been searching.

Daystar has a fantastic scent called Milk Sugar Kisses (I use it to make my milk and honey soap). It smells wonderfully of sweetened milk and does not discolor (if TD is added) or accelerate. It's one of my favorite FOs to use.

IrishLass :)

Yikes, now I need to get more FOs, as if I need anymore .... I really want the 70s one, Was it the one with Farrah Fawcett picture?

Someone mentioned whiskey the other day, and I looked and ended up with 6 more bottles.

I would love to bottle up the current scent of sheets from my linen/soap closet. The scent is like a daydream of summer, or what I imagine sheets would smell like if they were hung to dry in garden of flowers and herbs. It's mostly EO soaps and two floral FO soaps. I have a pile of well cured soap ready to be packed away but I don't want to alter the scent composition I have going. But I'll want to use the stored soap so it will change anyway...

Well Google told me ng sells egyptian musk fo. The reviews, however, state it is really light oob and one said faded completely in cp.
What about black amber musk by wsp? Soaps very well and doesnt D. I know it isn't egyptian musk (i havent a clue as to the difference), but it is worth a look at it.
The Sage carries a lovely Egyptian Musk. I have added a titch of DB to EM to anchor it

I'm looking for a cedarwood/pine fo that is just straight wood with maybe some musk. Nothing fruity or sweet. My favourite scent so far is a soap I made with cedarwood and pine eo, but pine is an expensive eo.

Back