Expiration date

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubby123

Reaction score
I make lip balm with no preservatives added. I want to put an expiration date but wonder how others do this? Or if anyone does put an expiration date on their labels??

Look also at commercial lip balms. Do they have an expiration date? That might also give you some guidelines.

I just checked a couple of the Dr Hauschka Lip products in our cupboard and the Lip Balm (in a pot) has a BBE of 04/2018 and the Lip Care Stick has a BBE of 05/2018. Neither is listed as having artificial preservatives.

Allowing for a bit of time in the supply chain I would say that these have been assigned an 18-month to BBE.

I would think you could safely put a 12-month BBE on anything made at home that is similar to the commercial products but I wonder if there is any official advice available?

Good question! I'll be watching to see what others say.

I put a "code" date-of-manufacture on all my products, including lip balm, but not soap.
Example: 032317 is the code for something made today. If a problem comes up down the road, that's the first thing I check.

Latest posts

Back