Lip Balm Filling Query

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Reaction score
I've been reading the previous post on lip balms with interest ..... last night my other half said he was concerned when he heard strange mutterings and expletives from the kitchen. He's never heard me talking to myself before. The reason? Making my first batch of lip balm! WHAT A MESS! The stuff was solidifying as I tried to put it into those teeny weeny tubes and slide tins and the wax was coating everything.

I will try the egg poacher method and the disposable pipette but would be grateful if anyone else can tell me their methods too.

It was so time consuming and wouldn't be cost effective for me (not to mention all the paper towels and hot water I used to clear it up). My product list for a summer farmers market is diminishing :( but I would like to try again. Presumably there must be a less messy/wasteful method as many of you are making them to sell?

Thanks

p.s. Sorry for all the queries today - I'm on a roll. I do appreciate the time and effort members have taken to reply to them :D

the tray is great. for pouring lip balms I use a few different techniques depending on how fast I need to work.

a pyrex measuring cup is great cuz it holds heat and it's got the pouring lip. but I don't like to try to pour from it, and I sure hate cleaning it.

if I'm just doing a couple, I actually melt in yogurt cups that I've put through the dishwasher. and then I use a disposable pipette. practice makes perfect so I don't have problems with the hardening. if it all hardens up, I just stick the whole thing (pipette and all) into the microwave. easy peasy.

cleanup isn't much fun.

Depending on how big of a batch you're doing, less than 10 of whatever flavor, I would go with a pipette. You should be able to keep your batch warm enough to use and not set in a bowl placed into a bowl of warm (not too hot) water while you're filling.

I have a filling tray and when I'm not going to do the full 50 slots but enough that using a pipette would take forever, like 15-30, I will take painters tape and cover the extra holes so it doesn't drip through, so once its cooled, I can just peel the tape and the extra right off the tray then scrape the section that was poured.

The trays are a must! However, I have heard that it works to rubberband a bunch together, and pour it in that way.

Since you are in the UK, you can get fill trays from Naturally Balmy, I believe.

For filling & melting my lip balm I use a stainless steel measuring cup, like this http://www.promo-wholesale.com/china/Me ... 132101.htm
I got my cups at a local restaurant supply store.

Then while I'm pouring, if I need to do something that might take too long, I put the cup on a coffee cup warmer that I have turned on and warmed up at the beginning. So that way my lip balm stays melted.

Then when I'm all done and the cup's empty, I just use a paper towel to wipe out as much hot balm as I can.

I have a stainless steel measuring cup too. I pour directly from it. It takes a steady hand and a careful pour. I keep it on my burner, flat top stove, on 1, to keep it warm. Using the lip balm tray keeps runs from going down the sides.

Thank you all sooo much for your replies. I really appreciate them. Thank you too for all the links. You are all so sweet and helpful. I'm actually excited about trying again now! :D

I look forward to being able to contribute similarly as my expertise grows x

Latest posts

Back