floating soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombus

Reaction score
Have any of you made a soap that floats- like Ivory?

I'm assuming that I would use my stick blender to incorporate as much air as possible.

Do you think that would work?

I haven't made it but whipped soap floats . If you google Nizzy , he has an awesome tut for whipped soap.

Kitn

Wow- Thanks for the link, Kitn

What a soaper Nizzy is. LOVE some of the stuff he has done. Makes me want to play!

You are most welcome .Nizzy's stuff is incredible. Have fun , I am going to try it one day soon.

Kitn

I have made whipped soap, a la Nizzy. The important thing to remember is to use 75-80% hard oils.
But I have heard that some people don't like whipped soap because it doesn't last as long as regular soap. But personally I think the "floating in the bath" is great, especially if you have children.

Chrissy, was your soap a little crumbly?

I made a batch of whipped soap with a recipe of Nizzy's site and the stuff it horrible crumbly. Maybe I over whipped it?

my daughter says my hp soap floats, just stir it like crazy after cook.

honor435 said:
my daughter says my hp soap floats, just stir it like crazy after cook.

Interesting , I have a rebatch that floats .Must have a lot of air in it.

kitn

Yes i have, my zucchini soap floats. ( in a post somewhere on here)

I whipped it with a stick blender, it doubled in size and i had and still have lots of soap. Made about year and a half ago.

Thanks for all your input!

I would like to get a bar that lasts long and also floats.
So- I took all of your ideas and did an experiment.

I decided to make a single bar using each of your suggestions.
I used the same recipe for each method. It makes a 5 oz. bar:

16.8 g lye
45.5 g water
36.2 g Coconut oil
42.2 Palm oil
42.2 Olive oil

This is 65% hard oils (I don't want over-the-top foam, just floating)

In the photo, The upper left is a modified Nizzy. I whipped the hard oils with the stick blender, and when they were as frothy as they were going to get, I drizzled the olive oil in slowly.

The upper right one is Hot Process. I stirred it well as it was cooking.

The one on the lower right is Cold Process. I mixed it with a stick blender and tried to incorporate as much air as possible until trace.

The lower left mold has the little blob of leftover soap from the standard cold process.

I used the same colorant in all three- interesting how different they look.
It is called Watermelon Red- liquid colorant from thechemistrystore.com

I will post a photo when I unmold them tomorrow.

One of my Castile soaps float. :shock: I think I may have possibly beaten the crap out of it with my mixer because my old SB took a crap about a minute into mixing. :? So it kinda floats & bobs around the bathtub. I kinda like it since I don't have to go scuba diving to find the soap when I drop it in the water LOL

If you beat your soap with regular electric beaters during HP your soap will float quite nicely - I recommend doing it just before you pour and then putting it back in the oven for a couple of minutes and then doing it again....the reason it floats is that you've incorporated air into the mix. When you rebatch you can make a floating/whipped soap as well.

x

in the soapmaking recipe and tutorial forum i posted my recipe and tech info for "winter solstice whipped rtcp milk soap". the bars are very hard and float.

i use a $6 electric hand mixer which i believe works better than a stick for this application anyway.

it's one of my favorite soaps. :D

monet

I unmolded my 3 soaps today. Here is a link to the photo.

The one on the left is HP
center is CP, right is cold, whipped oils

It is interesting to see the variety in color & texture with the same recipe!
This was my first attempt at HP

Can't wait until they finish curing- I'll repost a photo of the floating test!

Thanks for all of your input- and Monet- I can't wait to try your recipe![/img]

I had issues figuring out how to get photos to show up too. You just copy the image shack link to your photo, and then paste to the thred, highlight and click the "Img" button above the text box and it will wrap your link in Img tags like this
:)

floatingsoap.jpg

Latest posts

Back