Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I am from NSW Sth coast. It really depends on what you want to buy and how fussy you are about prices. Bring a micro manager I am very particular which means I use a few suppliers.

For FOs and EOs and cheap avocado oil and other different oils go to New Directions.
QUOTE]

FO's from New Directions in Oz are not Soap Safe.

I have spoken to the guys at New Directions and they say most of their FOs are cold process soap safe. You can ring and check with them before ordering to ensure which ones as are safe as they are not marked on the website.

That's funny, because I've been in there personally and spoken to them in the showroom and they've said they are not soap safe. Getting two different answers from one company - not good.

That's funny, because I've been in there personally and spoken to them in the showroom and they've said they are not soap safe. Getting two different answers from one company - not good.

No that is a worry.

When I was instore I asked to speak to a manager. She wouldn't get one but went to ask someone and came back and said they were cp soap safe.

I rang the other day and still couldn't get passed the first person to answer the phone but she was the one that said the majority are, ask and they will tell you if one you want isn't.

They use them in the soap they sell on display in their showroom.

Hi Relle and Penelope -Jane,

Since I was researching anyway I think I can clear up the New Directions issue. I spoke to Belinda and she advised that they don't recommend that you use f.o. in soap but this is not because they are unsafe. New directions recommends e.o. for soaping as you have the added benefits that come with eo which f.o. can't supply. And that they can't guarantee the reactions of the f.o. as some will fade, speed up trace etc. Belinda advised that f.o. could be used but she recommended extensive testing.

Cheers.

Since I was researching anyway I think I can clear up the New Directions issue. I spoke to Belinda and she advised that they don't recommend that you use f.o. in soap but this is not because they are unsafe. New directions recommends e.o. for soaping as you have the added benefits that come with eo which f.o. can't supply. And that they can't guarantee the reactions of the f.o. as some will fade, speed up trace etc. Belinda advised that f.o. could be used but she recommended extensive testing.

Cheers.

That can also happen with EO's not just FO's.

Kaolin does not help in my opinion, at least I had not notice the difference, I switched to FO and saved a huge amount of money :)) it is soap and Eo do not survive high temps. In lotion you add Eo in temps lower than 50 C which is 122 F. It is only for label appeal :))

I found Basil and Lavender worked well. Basil is so strong though that I will be making it with windows and doors open on a breezy day. And curing it in the garage for the first 4 weeks.

That can also happen with EO's not just FO's.

The reason why I highlighted what the woman at ND said to you was that she really doesn't know what she is talking about just mentioning what the FO's can do and mentioning nothing about that what the EO'S can do the same. Apparently she doesn't make soap, or she would know this.

The reason why I highlighted what the woman at ND said to you was that she really doesn't know what she is talking about just mentioning what the FO's can do and mentioning nothing about that what the EO'S can do the same. Apparently she doesn't make soap, or she would know this.

Yes I agree that she doesn't know what she's talking about. I guess they haven't done their own testing on all of the FOs yet. Does not sound very professional [emoji33] which is a pity because their prices are ok and I can try the scents before u buy when I visit the big smoke.

Last edited:

Cheers.

What that tells me is that you are talking to a person who prefers EOs and thinks anything else is crap.

Interesting.

Especially with the 'benefits' of the EO in soap. I do wonder if they would believe some instructions when it said "to enjoy the wonderful properties of this oil, apply the product and then immediately wash it off" and yet they say that EOs in soaps bring the eo benefits

I live in Coffs Harbour and for the past 8 years have been getting my oils/fats and a few other bits 'n' pieces from Essentials of Australia in Queensland, they have very reasonable prices but the only drawback is freight - I could buy around $800 in oils/fats only then to pay $500 - $600 in their courier fees - TNT Road Express have better prices for freight.

Then I received a call from Andrew Fuller (0427 551 063) who owns a fresh fruit and vegetable drive in (995 Waterfall Way Rd., Bellingen, NSW 2454) who stocks several of the oils and fats needed for soapmaking. Excellent prices and for me it's just a short drive to pick up what I need as I save heaps on freight I don't mind the drive.

For anyone living on or around the North Coast or because the prices are excellent and the savings there to be made on courier fees to take the drive from say Ballina, Lismore, Grafton all the way in-between and inland down to Port Macquarie it would be worth the savings in freight alone.

Aponi,

I buy my OO and RBO from coles .
Also EVOO from Aldi - not sure if you have one of those there yet.

Your freight costs seem very high.

New Directions (where I get Avocado and Almond oil and shea butter) charge $20 to deliver 15 kg of oils to me three hours south of Sydney.

Dahlia your friend is probably complaining about suppliers, because they are not always on your doorstep, to go and pick things up. Australia has lots of suppliers, they are just not in one place and supplies have to be ordered and delivered. There are lists in the Shopping Recs section for suppliers in Oz if anyone wants to research.

Relle,
Where are the lists of suppliers in Oz, please?

penelopejane, Aponi is selling her soap so she is buying in large quantities, I don't think buying in the supermarkets is cost efficient for her.

As far as the suppliers go - you'll have to just go back in the Shopping Recommendations section and have a look. They are listed, I haven't got time to do that. Not sure how far back they are - I started a list a while ago.

Back