I'm new & I'm lost HELP!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie J

Reaction score
I am new to soap making & I'm reading everyone's conversations trying to gain knowledge to increase my skill but I don't understand what all these abbreviations mean. What is FO & super fat mean? Somebody please fill me in on all the soaping lingo!

It helps when you're new to watch as many youtube videos of others making soap- you can see how they progress through each step. For me, I learned that I was overmixing with the stick blender (SB) to reach trace. Just ensure you have the proper basic equipment, and read as much as you can online for free or grab some books on soaping- library was a great resource for me! Start out with small batches so you can learn but not accidentally ruin a ton of olive oil, fragrance oil, etc....Good luck! Once you start soaping, it can sure be addictive, but a fun hobby, and who doesn't want handmade soap as a gift??
Love your picture/tag!!

Sweetie-we were all new once. Not one of us was born knowing how to make soap. We can help. But you need to go watch all the soapmaking videos you can find. Soap Queen TV and Soaping 101 are going to be the best I can recommend. They tell you why as well as how. Good Earth Spa is really good also, but she is a bit less than careful on some of the safety measures.

Speaking of safety measures, you need to learn that first. And follow instructions of goggles, gloves, long sleeved shirt, good ventilation. And never, ever, ever add the water to the lye. Ever. Always check the type of plastics and stick with the ones with 1 or 5 in that little triangle. Stainless steel, not aluminum, etc. Write them down and keep them close. Choose a method of determining if your soap is skin safe, and stick with it. I still zap test my bars.

Welcome to the addiction. We're all in this learning boat together.

Back