If I sell only one olive oil soap, what scent should it be, if any?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
I want to sell only one olive oil soap and was initially thinking of making them unscented but I'm wondering if scented would sell better and if so what scent should it be if I have only one olive oil soap?

I want to make them with 60% olive oil, and the other 40% a blend of palm kernel, coconut, shea and castor oil to make a harder bar, I've made a similar batch before and they were the best olive oil soaps I made.

Thanks

I like unscented as it seems to keep the purity of 100% olive oil soap.

I would make unscented and scented. In my market I rarely sell my unscented soaps. I have 3 available but they don't sell well. So, it will depend on your market.

I don’t sell soap, but as a consumer I would not buy an unscented bar or soap. So I think the best would be to have two. One unscented, one with a classic scent. Because I know there are people out there that are looking for that unscented type, but I would be there are more like me that would buy the soap because of the scent.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might make one batch scented and one unscented. The last 60% olive oil soap I made it mostly to get rid of my olive oil and near empty EOs, so I made a blend of ylang ylang, orange, lemongrass, oregon fir and wintergreen. It turned out to have an amazing scent which reminds me of the pink liquid soap there used to be in school washrooms, I may try to produce a similar scent again.

if it's an olive oil soap, why does it have the other oils in it? are you saying that you make all the other soaps without olive oil?

and yes, there are those people that do not want a scent. So make both.

if it's an olive oil soap, why does it have the other oils in it? are you saying that you make all the other soaps without olive oil?

and yes, there are those people that do not want a scent. So make both.

I don't like how 100% olive oil soaps come out, they get all slimey even after 1-2 years of curing. I find that by making them 60% olive oil and 40% a blend of hard oils they keep a much firmer texture throughout their use.

Thanks

Just make sure not to refer to it as Castile or olive oil soap as it would suggest something else

I call it 60% olive oil soap so it's clear that it's not 100% olive oil. Though is it accurate to call it 60% olive oil soap when it's 60% of the oils and not of the total ingredients?

Thanks

If it's 60% olive oil, I would just call it "soap". No need to emphasize any specific oil.

If you're selling, are you not using olive oil in the other soaps?

If it's 60% olive oil, I would just call it "soap". No need to emphasize any specific oil.

If you're selling, are you not using olive oil in the other soaps?

I don't use olive oil in my other soaps. I want to differentiate the 60% olive oil soaps as they have a very different texture than my soaps made from a blend of other oils like coconut, palm, palm kernel, castor, etc. which is why the one I now have is titled "60% olive oil..." on my website (the only other soaps on the website now are salt soaps but I will be making regular soaps without, or with very little, olive oil soon).

Last edited:
I see why she wants to do it/ You do use olive in other bars but she wants to differenenciate that THIS bar has 60% .. So no harm in doing that. Very nice line up.

I see you use it in 6 soaps on that page.. But really... hope you remember the % in the other soaps when people ask.

Lemongrass
Orange
Orange Spice
Green & Yellow
Cocoa Vanilla

all have olive oil in them

I want to sell only one olive oil soap and was initially thinking of making them unscented but I'm wondering if scented would sell better and if so what scent should it be if I have only one olive oil soap?

I want to make them with 60% olive oil, and the other 40% a blend of palm kernel, coconut, shea and castor oil to make a harder bar, I've made a similar batch before and they were the best olive oil soaps I made.

Thanks

There is a market, albeit a small market, for unscented pure castile soap. Your soap is really just soap even with the high OO content. If you are newly delving into selling I will recommend you have a wide variety. I just had a customer at my booth last night that bought a un-fragranced castile soap and a fragranced whom commented that I had such a nice selection. Fragranced soap will outsell un-fragranced 99-1 but I always have a selection of un-fragranced. Another suggestion for selling a high OO soap let it cure longer, even with the added oils it will be a much nicer soap in 3 months versus 1 month. Lavender is always a very good seller for me

Soaping101 uses a basic recipe of 68.80% olive oil and calls it Bastille. Shouldn't your percentage be higher if you want to call it Castile? Just asking, because I don't know and have never made Castile.

Soaping101 uses a basic recipe of 68.80% olive oil and calls it Bastille. Shouldn't your percentage be higher if you want to call it Castile? Just asking, because I don't know and have never made Castile.

I don't think she is trying to sell it as Castile. If I read correctly.

Back