Forced "donation" at WSP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak for how OverUnder missed it, but I do understand more how I did. The donation amount doesn't line up with the other dollar amounts. What does line up is an arrow pointing down to the total. Also, the font isn't bolded like the other categories and amounts are. And like OverUnder said, there is no warning of this atypical (my word) tack-on until the very final stage of the purchasing process. Some would call any one of those things a deceptive tactic. And notice in this screen shot I took today from their website that the donation defaulted to a whole dollar.

My objection has nothing to do with their cause or saving a buck; it has everything to do with an underhanded way of getting me to pay for it. I suppose I should be grateful they decided that the default donation should only be a dollar; I may feel stupid now but I would have been really upset if they had decided it should be $10.

I 100% support OverUnder in the request to get the refund, based purely on the principle of how this is set up. They're lucky it isn't a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Presumably neither of us are visually impaired, but sooner or later one of their customers will be, and it certainly won't be fair to that person.

wsp_donation.jpg

The great thing about soap making suppliers now is that there are so many now that carry great stuff. And if we don't like the way some handle business, chances are that there is another supplier happy to fill the void.

**First a disclaimer: This post is in NO way meant to be snarky or rude! I just wanted to get that out of the way as sometimes things come across that way in a written message, and that certainly isn't my intention.**
Carabou, the reasons you mentioned for finding this deceptive were precisely the reasons WHY I noticed this donation the very first time I ordered from WSP...IMHO this line sticks out like a sore thumb (underlined, off-set, the only drop-down box, different type).
And the reason it defaulted to $1 is because the total was an even dollar amount. I've had this happen as well, and I chose to opt out.
That said, I truly hope the OP gets his/her refund, and I'm sorry you feel like you've been decieved. I honestly don't think WSP is trying to cheat anyone, but I can see how this would leave a bad taste in your mouth if you didn't notice and unwillingly donated to their cause.

I have a grandson with Aspergers syndrome, so anytime someone wants a donation for autism/aspergers I make one.
You may want to check into the organizations or speak with your grandson or others with autism before donating. There are many organizations that those with autism and AS (such as myself) do not support and feel they are detrimental to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

I don't feel this is the place to get political, and so thats why I am not naming organizations or going into more detail other than that someone should research before donating and ensure they want to support the organization they are donating to. I feel this is important with ALL charities. For example there is a charity thats well known to receive donations from individuals who believe they are sending the money straight to rescue animals when the organization is actually purely political (I have no issue with donating to a political organization, but issue with not being upfront about where the money truly goes and what seems to be purposeful deception); and many charities that are non-profit send more money to salary for employees than to support the cause of the charity. I respect differences of opinion on what to support, but strongly believe its important for people to know exactly what they are supporting.

You may want to check into the organizations or speak with your grandson or others with autism before donating. There are many organizations that those with autism and AS (such as myself) do not support and feel they are detrimental to individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

I don't feel this is the place to get political, and so thats why I am not naming organizations or going into more detail other than that someone should research before donating and ensure they want to support the organization they are donating to. I feel this is important with ALL charities. For example there is a charity thats well known to receive donations from individuals who believe they are sending the money straight to rescue animals when the organization is actually purely political (I have no issue with donating to a political organization, but issue with not being upfront about where the money truly goes and what seems to be purposeful deception); and many charities that are non-profit send more money to salary for employees than to support the cause of the charity. I respect differences of opinion on what to support, but strongly believe its important for people to know exactly what they are supporting.

Beautifully said, Lin. I couldn't agree more.

[QUOTE

Ruthie, my mama taught me how to read as well. Disagreeing with a company's business practices doesn't make one illiterate or entirely culpable, as you imply.[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry that you took my comment as saying you were either. I was only saying that a purchase online is a contract and should be read carefully.

**First a disclaimer: This post is in NO way meant to be snarky or rude! I just wanted to get that out of the way as sometimes things come across that way in a written message, and that certainly isn't my intention.**

And my clarification... I don't take (or give) any of this personally. Heck, I don't even feel bad that I missed something right under my nose, regardless of how obvious it was to others. I'm just glad OverUnder brought it to light and that I got to weigh in!

Are you serious? I used to order from them several times a month at my old job. What is their monthly service fee for? "file management"?

boyago, I am not ignoring your question. I simply feel I may have spoken out of line here and want to be able to check my facts before I say more- or before I apologize for my misstatement.

I know what I am talking about used to be part of their website, but am not sure it still is. Guess that is reason to order the banner I've been wanting! :)

Latest posts

Back