Is it weird to buy soap when you make it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Right, so basically my problem is this - I make lots of soap. Lots. Then I go online or out to the shops and I see gorgeous soaps and I'm like Oooooo gotta try that. My shower looks like it was attacked with a soap cannon because no, I don't wait until a bar is done before trying a newie. My family and friends think (know) I'm nuts because it's just soap I obsess over. Anyone else also buy soap although they make it? What is it about soap? Gotta try em all.

I buy soaps when It's something that catches my eye or olfactory. I also have a few different soaps in my shower because I like different scents. But my current keep-going-back-to is a sweetgrass & greentea soap I bought in Kansas (this was the inspiration for making my own sweetgrass & greentea soap) and my own spa bar, which is made with eucalyptus & lemongrass e.o.'s and lots of loofa I ground in my coffee grinder.

Sounds perfectly normal to me- for a soaper, anyway. It is an opportunity to learn and to try new things without having to invest a lot. I tend, though, to buy more at craft shows than online. Guess its that olfactory thing Miz Jenny referred to.

I buy lots of soaps. I like to see what people are making, and try to figure out how they got those colors or swirls or fragrances. When I buy in person, I tell the seller that I am a beginning soaper. Most of the time, they spend some time chatting with me, and maybe even giving me advice.

However, my partner does NOT understand the importance of comparison shopping. "Why are you bringing home MORE SOAP?? We have hundreds of bars of soap already!!" Yeah, well, we have 5 more now!

I was at a horse riding event last year (a Knights Tournament) where everyone was dressed up in old-fashioned clothes and there was a fair and everything they sold (food, woven cloth, blacksmithed horseshoes, etc) was made like they did during the Middle Ages and that is the ONLY time I have ever seen any handmade soap for sale here in Sweden. I bought five bars. They smelled divine and I also feel it's important to support other soapmakers. I don't think we are very many soapers here and because of that, supplies are impossible to get. By helping keep other soapers in business so they can keep their soaps available for sale, maybe the art of soapmaking will spread and we can add to our ranks here and then maybe supplies will become easier to get and that would make it easier to be a soaper for all of us! Plus I got some yummy soaps. Win, win! :)

2012-05-19 - ridderturnering (6) (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Argh OMG I'm loving that so much. I'm stupid jealous here. I'd love to go to something like that. That pic is awesome. You're spot on about supporting other soapers too, great way of looking at it. I like the research angle too. I completely forgot about this thread lol.

My idiot brain now wants to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Ni!"

OMG, that made me laugh so much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was great. It was held at an old castle, so the atmosphere was spot on. It was fun to see the jousting and all that and the men all looked so dashing and handsome (and sexy beyond belief! LOL) in their different costumes. It was fun. :)

Last edited:
My idiot brain now wants to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Ni!"

funny thing about that movie....is that is my real name. Ni. haha

since starting soap making, I haven't bought any soaps from local soap makers. I think if I bring MORE soap in the house instead of getting rid of some, my bf would kill me. maybe after Christmas when my soap stash has been decreased a bit.....

Castles, good looking men dressed up as knights and jousting. I'm beyond jealous. We have none of that here. I did once party in an old jail but that's a completely different story :shifty:

I aways buy hadmade CP soaps when i see them, then photograph and keep the packaging!!
Mentioning soap from Afghanistan reminds me of seeing some soap that was sold in a craft fair that was apparently made in Turkey. It was in the shape of fruit, - bananas, apple and orange and beautifully packaged. The texture and colours was exactly like the fruit, when i looked at the list of ingredients it listed only talowate. I asked the vendor what else and he said "nothing else, pure oils of Turkey". How many turkeys does it take to make a bar if soap? Lol. I didn't buy them.

No pictures of fair maidens? So sexist to just concentrate the men!

But as for soaps, I think I'd buy something that looked interesting. A lot of things posted on this site look very good.

I have to say, I started this as a way to make some good manly soap, but The Admirable Lady keeps on looking at things for me to replace: "if you can find a recipe for [insert product here], then I wouldn't have to worry about buying any more.........................". I'm quite happy, as it means I can then indulge in my obsession whilst being a good husband :thumbup:

No pictures of fair maidens? So sexist to just concentrate the men!

There's not one single thing I can say in my own defense. Nada. LOL I looked through my folder and I couldn't find a single picture with some of the ladies in it! I should have taken pictures of some of them and I thought I had, but... but there were just so many knights and so little time!! :lol:

*Drool* hot men in knight costumes..... :cool:

*Giggling like a little school girl*....

Wanna see another?? :D

2012-05-19 - ridderturnering (4).JPG

Ooooh, those are two fine looking specimens, Lin! But the black stud is definitely the more handsome of the two. The guy is a little two much of a "pretty boy" for my liking. If guys were soaps, he would be a CP soap and I prefer men to be more of the HP kind... if you know what I mean. ;)

EDIT; Aw, man! Look at how far I have fallen! I'm comparing men to soaps!! :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back