Stearic spots, Ash? ..problems, problems (pics)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The soap above is about 24hrs old. I took the saran wrap off the top, and it ashed over in about an hour (I was getting dressed and hoping to cut it before work) :(
Is there anything I can do? When I removed the saran, I did spray it with alcohol. The ash (is it ash?) doesn't seem to want to wipe off.

What are the yellow spots on this one? Ugh, I'm such a newb..

Oh my...what lovely textures!! The yellow spots look like hard fats that solidified before emulsion, although it may be stearic. In my experience, stearic spots are white and not yellow. The top pic looks like soap I've overheated in the oven, and the cut bar appears to have air bubbles (which were a problem for me until I changed brands of stick blenders) and the appearance of overheating at the top of the bar. I really don't see any ash, but my eyes are not the best. They're still really cool soaps, though. Very artistic.

BakingNana said:
Oh my...what lovely textures!! The yellow spots look like hard fats that solidified before emulsion, although it may be stearic. In my experience, stearic spots are white and not yellow. The top pic looks like soap I've overheated in the oven, and the cut bar appears to have air bubbles (which were a problem for me until I changed brands of stick blenders) and the appearance of overheating at the top of the bar. I really don't see any ash, but my eyes are not the best. They're still really cool soaps, though. Very artistic.

Thanks so much for your response. When you say 'hard fats that solidified before emulsion', do you mean the oils were starting to cool before they were fully mixed?
That makes sense, because it did take me a while to do the embeds, and my batter traced very quickly and got super thick.

On the top pic, I don't think this soap over heated- I don't think it even gelled. I soaped cool (around 90 deg) and it took me a while to put in my colors. Its hard to see, but there's white all over the green part of the top.

When I unmolded it, it still zapped ever so slightly, my gelled soaps never zap.
Could it be that I removed the Saran before it was fully saponified? Ash is a lye to air reaction, correct?
And ty for the complement, but my friend said the bottom soap looks like a ham sandwich and is 'not attractive', lol. The top one, I cut last night, I actually like the look of it cut :)

ungelled soaps take much longer to finish, so the zap will probably go away in a few days.

the yellow spots could also be FO that didn't mix in completely.

carebear said:
ungelled soaps take much longer to finish, so the zap will probably go away in a few days.

the yellow spots could also be FO that didn't mix in completely.

Yes, they are now zap-less! I thought I mixed well, but like I said, everything seemed to move really fast for me this day, so it could well be FO.

Here's a pic of my ashy-Blackberry Sage-swirl-challenged soap, sliced
:) :

I really appreciate the help!!

edited to say, I brushed some shimmery mica on the tops, so you can't see the ash all that much in real life.

I think your soap is beautiful! Very striking and I like the asymmetrical shape. I'd not worry about the ash.

[quote="saltydogWhen you say 'hard fats that solidified before emulsion', do you mean the oils were starting to cool before they were fully mixed?
That makes sense, because it did take me a while to do the embeds, and my batter traced very quickly and got super thick.[/quote]

Yep, that's what I meant. I don't think it looks like a ham sandwich; I think it's cool. I know you're bummed by the ash, but I still think I'd call these wins!!

edited to add: I messed up the quote somehow, but at least it's there. Sigh.

Very lovely textures. Lately I'm having a problem similar like yours and I was soaping cooler. I've checked my notes and batches which I'd soap warmer around 43C never have the stearic spots. Also about the ash, I notice I have less ash if I don't expose the soap so soon to air sometimes up to 2 or 3 days (give it time to saponify). I don't gel. I just cover the top with a cling wrap but it's not full proof. I think air is leaking into my mold. But I have gelled batches which have the least ash.

spots / ash

saltydog said:
BakingNana said:

Thanks so much for your response. When you say 'hard fats that solidified before emulsion', do you mean the oils were starting to cool before they were fully mixed?
That makes sense, because it did take me a while to do the embeds, and my batter traced very quickly and got super thick.

On the top pic, I don't think this soap over heated- I don't think it even gelled. I soaped cool (around 90 deg) and it took me a while to put in my colors. Its hard to see, but there's white all over the green part of the top.

When I unmolded it, it still zapped ever so slightly, my gelled soaps never zap.
Could it be that I removed the Saran before it was fully saponified? Ash is a lye to air reaction, correct?
And ty for the complement, but my friend said the bottom soap looks like a ham sandwich and is 'not attractive', lol. The top one, I cut last night, I actually like the look of it cut :)

Hi Saltydog
How long should I let my soap sit for before I unwrap it. Do you wrap your soap in a towel to keep the heat in. ?
What do you mean by 'zapped', ive never heard this term before.
So much to learn any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, Margo

Your soap is not weird. It is the type of designs I am always attracted to! I may have to ask for some advice when I get ready to do more advanced stuff.

As for ash, I always had trouble with lavender EO. Once I started to CPOP I never did again.

soapopera said:
Very lovely textures. Lately I'm having a problem similar like yours and I was soaping cooler. I've checked my notes and batches which I'd soap warmer around 43C never have the stearic spots. Also about the ash, I notice I have less ash if I don't expose the soap so soon to air sometimes up to 2 or 3 days (give it time to saponify). I don't gel. I just cover the top with a cling wrap but it's not full proof. I think air is leaking into my mold. But I have gelled batches which have the least ash.

I agree with everything you are saying, at least it certainly seems that way.
I usually gel my soaps and unmold after 24hrs. I don't normally have too much problem with ashing.
I soaped this batch cool, I don't think it gelled and unmolded in about 24hrs, which is prob too early for an ungelled/partially gelled soap.
It ashed over in about an hour, I'm convinced I should have left the Saran on and left it in the mold longer and it would have been fine. I'm so impatient sometimes when it comes to soaping.

younglivingmargo said:
Hi Saltydog
How long should I let my soap sit for before I unwrap it. Do you wrap your soap in a towel to keep the heat in. ?
What do you mean by 'zapped', ive never heard this term before.
So much to learn any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks, Margo

Hi Margo,
Welcome to the forum! I'm a new soaper myself, and there are many much more experienced soapmakers on this forum, but in regards to your question, this is what I've learned:

I let my soap sit at least 24 hrs before unmolding. That usually does the trick for me, as I always gel, but people who don't gel sometimes need to leave their soap in the mold for 2 or 3 days, until it hardens. (Ungelled takes longer than a gelled soap)

As far as insulating goes, I like to Cold Process Oven Process (CPOP) most of my soap, unless it contains milk, beer and/or honey, which tends to heat it up.
Please forgive me for over-explanation if you are already aware, but this is when you pre-heat your oven on very low, I do 150, and then turn it off before you set your soap in to gel.

I like to ensure a full gel, and CPOP usually does the trick. It also depends on what kind of mold you are using- I have a wood mold that insulates very well, there's usually no need for me to wrap it in a towel, in the oven. If I don't CPOP, I usually drape a dish towel over the top. Also, I always cover the top with Saran when I can.

The 'Zap' test is a neutrality test. If you put your tongue on your finished soap, or rub it with your finger and touch it to your tongue, you may feel a sensation like a 9-volt battery zap. This means there is still active lye in your soap.
My gelled soaps never zap after 24 hrs, ungelled soaps can zap for several days before becoming completely saponified.
I hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, the people here are tremendously generous with their knowledge and time :)

dOttY said:
Ash? What Ash? I'm too entranced by the unique-ness and beauty of your soap to even see any ash!

Love them!

Ha, your sweet :)

Soapy Gurl said:
I may have to ask for some advice when I get ready to do more advanced stuff.

Oh my, this strikes me as soo odd.. but thank you!! :shock:

Ya know, the CPOP thing- I get the feeling that the ash forms because the soap is not fully saponified, and then exposed to air. I think the CPOP-ing ensures full saponification before exposure to air, at least for impatient me..if that makes sense?

Val, I personally love the look ash gives to a soap and yours is absolutely beautiful :wink:

Elly said:
Val, I personally love the look ash gives to a soap and yours is absolutely beautiful :wink:

Really, Elly- you like the look of ash? Well, I got a lot of soap for ya then, lol. Thanks for looking and for the complement :)

Val, I love the way your soaps turned out, and I honestly don't see what your friend means by a ham sandwich. It looks so intricate and pretty. Great job!

That's a pretty soap ash and all.

I always seem to get ash if I don't gel- no matter what I do.

Stearic spots I get no matter how warm I soap as well- I do have a higher stearic recipe though- what can I say I like butter in soap?

I don't worry too much about those.

Back