interesting day in the soap lab

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
So I had an interesting day in the lab:

First: I made a salt bar and decided to disolve as much salt in my water before adding the lye. When I added the lye the amount of fumes was reduced significantly. Usually I have to stir at arms length and cover my nose and mouth but there were hardly any fumes. Any one have any thoughts on this.

Second: I have to go back to zero for days without an accident. (actually this is my first in 3 years) My stick blender broke so I switched to a hand mixer. One of the mixer thingys fell off hit the other one and sprayed raw soap everywhere. I ended up dropping the mixer in the pot which caused a bigger mess. Fortunately I was wearing safety goggles because a splat went right on my eye. BUT (this is me kicking myself) I didn't have gloves on and my forarms got A LOT of burns. :shock: Needless to say it hurt. I kept getting burned because I was scrambling to clean up the floor for fear of my dogs walking through it. Uggh my arms look like they have a very strange rash. They had a prickly feel for a good 24 hours after it happen. So....going to the store today to get some new gloves. :oops:

So as you can see, it was educational if anything. The good news is, my salt bar turned out beautifully and I managed to save the soap that I spilled.

OUCH! Sorry to hear you got burned. Hope you heal quickly!

Gosh, thats terrible! :shock: It is good to hear that at least your salt bars turned out well. I had a lye burn a few months ago and used whipped shea butter on it (I keep meaning to get an aloe plant) and it healed really well with no redness or anything. This post convinced me that I need to get a backup stick blender for a situation such as this....hope your arms feel better soon!

Latest posts

Back