Oil Warmer Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there any way to make these at home? I know I'm not going to be making soap and definitely not candles for a while but I have been dying to use one or two FOs for oil warmer. If it's more trouble than it's worth, I'm willing to go the reed diffuser route.

I've read this on another site. Haven't tried it myself as I don't have a melter right now. So no help first hand. Hopefully someone else will pop on with more knowledge. Sorry.

I've read this on another site. Haven't tried it myself as I don't have a melter right now. So no help first hand. Hopefully someone else will pop on with more knowledge. Sorry.

I just read it somewhere too. I'm a little wary of trying it but I might give a go with maybe canola oil or something. I don't want to get DPG if I don't have to. I had some years ago that was just sitting around since my sister didn't use it or anything.

Not exactly sure what an oil warmer is, but I have one of those warmers that I bought to use with Yankee Candle wax melts, and also a diffuser that I use with FOs. Each of them has a little "bowl" that I fill with water, and add a few drops of FO, and they have a votive candle below that warms the water and diffuses the scent. What I usually do with an "empty" bottle of FO, is to rinse it out with a little water, and pour this water into the diffuser. Here is a picture of one of the ones I use, so that you can see what I mean. Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but it works really well.

diffuser.jpg

I am a Potter and I make oil warmers in stoneware. Several years ago I tested a bunch of oil mixtures to be able to sell along side my oil warmers. Nothing worked for me. I used DPG and fragrance oil, I used carrier oils, even mineral oil. The tealights heated the mixture and the smell from the oils overpowered any essential or fragrance oil I used. I tried commercial mixtures and had the same experiences.

I was moaning and *****ing about my issues to a friend from Australia and he told me that at work they routinely use a tealight oil warmer with eucalyptus oil when anyone is feeling congested. He said that they just put water in the top with a few drops of essential oil and kept the water topped off so it didn't' run dry. Just like navigator mentioned above.

I now easily sell my oil warmers by telling people they can simply use water in the top with their favorite essential oils and it is gentle enough to use on a desk top, but very often the scent carries lightly through a room. I also feel it's the best way to diffuse essential oils to keep them at their best scent carriage and not to try to burn them in a candle...which presents its own issues.

...I also sell tealights with smaller wicks just for oil warmers. They burn a little longer than my usual tealights and work beautifully for these.

Thanks. I guess water is looking like the way to go. I have no problems with that however.

I tried the water/FO suggestion using BB's Rustic Woods and Rum. It's plucking my sweet nerve but it's a nice scent.

Last edited:
Back