body oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymommy

Reaction score
can someone tell me what is a good carrier oil, that is not very greasy to add to eo, thanks

Jojoba & Meadowfoam are very non greasy. But they're kind of pricey. For less expensive not very greasy oils, I like safflower & apricot kernel oils.

I second Genny's suggestions. Grapeseed and hazelnut are lighter oils. I think hemp oil has a "drier" feel as compared to some other oils and absorbs well. However, I have very dry skin so almost everything absorbs well for me. You might even want to consider a blend of oils - perhaps a blend with safflower, rice bran and hemp or safflower, rice bran and apricot kernel oil. I'd also add a small percentage of tocopherol to the blend. I also love sunflower but you might consider it too greasy feeling.

Is your skin very dry? If so, you might be able to use a slightly "greasier" or heavier oil since it would absorb more quickly than someone who has oily skin.

I also second Nevada's suggestion about Swift's blog. It's very informative especially if you decide to try making your own lotions. There is more about carrier oils on her site but here is a link to a PDF she has about carrier oil comparisons. It identifies which oils are light, medium or heavy so you might find it helpful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1020026/carrieroilcomparisonchart.pdf

Don't worry about it. We were all new at one time. There is a lot of info on this forum plus people post links to other sites with helpful info. There is a learning curve but it won't take too long before you're answering questions for new people. :grin:

Are you going to start with just one oil? Do you have a local source for oils or will you need recommendations for online suppliers?

oils

don't now where to start really, My daughter wanted a body spray from a lady that makes them, the lady didn't have the scent in a spray, so she mixed the fo oil with something, do you know what she may have mix it with, to make it skin safe? it didn't feel oily. thanks

Could have been anything from alcohol to glycerin to oil. The only way to know for sure would be to ask her. If you spray it on is it oily at all?(oil) Does it dry quickly? (alcohol) or Does it feel a bit sticky? (glycerin) None of the above and it could have been just water.

It could have been a body spray base because I have seen this product on several supply sites. I use cyclomethicone blended with fractionated coconut oil for body sprays. I actually wouldn't have to use FCO but I like a little oil with my spray. Cyclomethicone isn't oily, dries quickly on the skin and is a great carrier for fragrance oils.

Since this woman was selling a cosmetic product, she should have the ingredients on the label listed according to FDA regulations. Is there a label?

Back