Testing FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
I am just now starting to use some FOs in my soaps, and I am wondering how you all attempt to sort through all of them. Do you buy small amounts and do a test batch of soap (a scent per bar)? Or do you buy larger amounts and make a smallish batch per scent & maybe use excess in lotions/scrubs?
I can just see where this will get out of control for me if I let it:twisted: I guess I don't *really* want 100s of bottles of FO in the house....

I guess I don't *really* want 100s of bottles of FO in the house....

Oh, but you really do - you just don't know it yet :twisted:

I have done the 1 bar testing, and that is probably the best thing to do if you are testing a lot of FOs at once. My batches are pretty small anyway, so I tend to get 1 or 2 ounces of a new fragrance to see how I like it and make a small batch. That gives me a better idea of acceleration and ricing, and I have some to use and/or give away, and one to keep to see how the FO holds up over time.

There's a spreadsheet around here that tabs out vendors at the bottom and lists their FO's with user comments. Here it is... stuck right at the top: https://goo.gl/UXgVPQ

I tend to purchase just a couple at a time (ones that tend to be the most popular) in small amounts (2-4oz) and create a sample batch to see if it's something I want more of and how it performs. It's so easy to get out of control with FO's! I've actually tried lots and have found that there are only a handful that I truly like and would purchase regularly. I tend to stick with EO's mostly. BUT - out of all the scents (EO's and FO's) Dragons Blood FO is by far my absolute favorite.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do refer to the review spreadsheet, but I am always drawn to the less popular scents. Maybe I can start adding my own reviews...now purchasing more FOs has been justified:)

I recommend buying from a soap-focused supplier - I love that Brambleberry and Nurture Soap test their FOs in the soap and post pics. I have found their descriptions to be very honest - I've never had one of their FOs accelerate, discolor, or fade when the description didn't share that information. Not saying i've loved every FO I've gotten from them, but I've never gotten a total dud.

Candle places also have some good FOs but IMO testing is advisable.

WSP FOs have also been good for me, and there are also usually lots of reviews.

When I test - I get some plastic to go cups (I got mine at The christmas Tree Shop). I get strips of chipboard and right the date and the FO on them. I make a batch of soap, pour approximately 1 cup into the to-go cup, at 1-2 tsp of FO and stick blend. I blast the blender in a bowl of warm water between sample cups. I usually do 8 or so samples each time.

I try to wait for the 1-oz FO sales that various vendors offer at different times throughout the year, which is usually twenty 1-oz bottles of FO for $20.00. If I really want to try an FO from a vendor, but no sale promotions are going on, I just find other stuff to order from the vendor that I might need, then tack on the 1-oz bottle of FO to my order.

Then over time I make 1.3 lb. batches with each 1-oz bottle of FO. For what it's worth, 1 oz FO ppo in a 1.3 lb batch equates to .75 oz FO ppo- a usage rate that on average has worked out very well for me.

IrishLass :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do refer to the review spreadsheet, but I am always drawn to the less popular scents. Maybe I can start adding my own reviews...now purchasing more FOs has been justified:)

Once you try a few scents and check back on the spreadsheet you will find there are other people who have the same "nose" as you - people who like the same scents and you or dislike the same scents as you. Then when you choose again you will know which scents you will or won't like by relying on those people.

It doesn't always work but it generally does.
If you are in the US go in the soap swaps or go into Lush to try different scents. Don't judge a scent out of the bottle.

Question about the FO reviews- how long should one wait before submitting their review? I noticed some folks report on it after a long cure to add whether or not it really sticks in CP soap. Is there a standard?

Latest posts

Back