mixing fragrance oils ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am very new to soaping and bought some vanilla FO to add to my basic soap recipe. When it arrived I opened the bottle and gave it a sniff, and it smelled like vanilla but just wasn't pleasing to me as vanilla alone. I have a couple of questions. First is will the scent change at all when in the soap? and second can I custom mix with another FO to come up with a unique smell?:confused:

You can absolutely blend your FOs. I love vanilla, but it is a tricky one for me because I don't like the buttery, bakery vanilla scent that so many tend to have. Maybe try some orange or add a bit to a floral you like along with some sandalwood or amber. Vanilla does play well with other fragrances.

The scent will also change a bit with time and whatever process you use. A good test is to put a few drops on a cotton ball to qtip and leave it for a while. Unconcentrated scent with smell slightly different. Lye also reacts with certain scents and can morph things a bit.

I am very new to soaping and bought some vanilla FO to add to my basic soap recipe. When it arrived I opened the bottle and gave it a sniff, and it smelled like vanilla but just wasn't pleasing to me as vanilla alone. I have a couple of questions. First is will the scent change at all when in the soap? and second can I custom mix with another FO to come up with a unique smell?:confused:

Here is the helpful link for custom mix with another FO. Check this https://candletech.com/candle-making/tips-and-tricks/scent-mixing-ideas/

If you like the warmth of vanilla, you might want to consider trying an Amber FO for a base note -- it's got lovely vanilla notes to it without that sickly-sweet aspect that some vanilla blends come up with. As a heads up, if you're doing cold process, vanillin content in a fragrance oil will often discolor the resulting soap brown. It's not really a big deal but it's worth being aware of if you're planning to do much in the way of color work. :)

Back