~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Soap Making Recipes & Tutorials > African Black Soap

Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #31
not_ally

Liked 1674 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2320

Sorry, Viv It makes you wonder about Essential Depot, what other company would have her as a rep? If she was just a regular soaper I would not say such mean things, but it seems as if she presents herself as a professional of some kind, I do not think she is a good soaper, and she apparently does pretty well disseminating her crappy advice. Also she is just *so* irritating.

It is a good thing ED has Soaping101 on board as a rep as well, that must be saving them w/r/t social media/video marketing.

Last edited by not_ally; 08-25-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #32
Trix

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I lost track of where this thread is going, but as someone whose parents lived all around Africa for a while, and then took me on vacations sometimes, that picture is. It 'african black soap' at all.

The reason for the diffrences is they all simply use what they have, thise who have cocoa plants in their country use that those who have palantins use that, same with the oils. The result is one strangely colour soap made of diffrent browns as i would put it.
Btw there are also so many other names i heard for the diffrent peoples soap, but i can't remember them as naturally i was a kid, and speaking a very diffrent language. (They all spoke back to us in English or French anyway, depending on the country)

Anyway back tomsubject, it is very likely that soap in the market is either charcoal, or pine tar soap. I think so at least, as when i went to a soap shop lately...looking for the african soaps i remebered, the lady there just picked up a black bar and went "if you want black soap try this, but it is from America not Africa, and has charcoal in it"...but it was black for sure.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #33
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4909 Times on 2858 Posts
Likes Given: 1260

The African Black Soap I purchase from a friend with family in Ghana, varies greatly in color and even texture depending on which village and area they have visited. I tend to be a purist when it comes to some things and I just do not think we can duplicate a true ABS, when these recipes and methods have been handed down for centuries

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #34
not_ally

Trix, if you are going to spend time here you will have to get used to the meandering! Threads tend to take on a life of their own. I kind of like it, sometimes it makes my fellow smf'ers seem more like real people rather than distant ethernet voices.

Carolyn, I agree with everything you said. As usual.

Last edited by not_ally; 08-25-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #35
Seawolfe

Liked 2909 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 3594

Speaking of meandering, this picture is so sweet it just made my whole day - what a beautiful family!

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #36
not_ally

I wholeheartedly agree, Sea. This is kind of a great example of why I like the meandering. I always like it when Patrick/Cenz talks about his kids/family, and seeing them makes me happy. It helps me w/my mental picture when I know how beautiful the smart, mouthy, funny peanut-butter abusing daughter is.
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #37
PrairieLights

Liked 72 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 184

soapy friends - soaping 101 on you tube has a video on black soap. i DID find plantains here on the prairie - and after talking to at least 7 people and driving to 3 stores, i found cocoa nibs too! my house smells like burned...plantain skins??? since the tribes each have their own version, i am embracing that and used the pan to char the skins - but if we like the soap, i will have son 2 BBQ char them next time, since that is more our family's style. if this makes you laugh, good: i texted my daughter and said that since we cannot rightly call it african, it is bellamy black soap. then son 3 said there was a pirate called "black bellamy" - so now the 3 of us are giggling and preparing to name our soap "black bellamy soap".......... oh well.....made us giggle

okay so now what to do with the inside of the plantain? son 3 asked what they tasted like, and i tried to describe them. he said "so basically all the good taste of a banana taken out?"

i suppose fry them like chips...............

i will post on how the soap seems on the skin (2-4 weeks from now???)
HUGS
People Like This 
Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #38
Trix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
The African Black Soap I purchase from a friend with family in Ghana, varies greatly in color and even texture depending on which village and area they have visited. I tend to be a purist when it comes to some things and I just do not think we can duplicate a true ABS, when these recipes and methods have been handed down for centuries
I know.
that is what i was trying to say...as someone who had the lucky expierence of seeing it made live in its real 'home base' not only in Ghana, but a few other countries on Africa to.
I would also never do it, as i know the money does reach the soapmakers trying to earn a livelihood in their own home towns, using their heritage.
Belizeanswirl Likes This 
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #39
Trix

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_ally View Post
Trix, if you are going to spend time here you will have to get used to the meandering! Threads tend to take on a life of their own. I kind of like it, sometimes it makes my fellow smf'ers seem more like real people rather than distant ethernet voices.

Carolyn, I agree with everything you said. As usual.
I like the meansering to, it wasnt a complaint, just stating that i lost track a little!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #40
Trix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieLights View Post
soapy friends - soaping 101 on you tube has a video on black soap. i DID find plantains here on the prairie - and after talking to at least 7 people and driving to 3 stores, i found cocoa nibs too! my house smells like burned...plantain skins??? since the tribes each have their own version, i am embracing that and used the pan to char the skins - but if we like the soap, i will have son 2 BBQ char them next time, since that is more our family's style. if this makes you laugh, good: i texted my daughter and said that since we cannot rightly call it african, it is bellamy black soap. then son 3 said there was a pirate called "black bellamy" - so now the 3 of us are giggling and preparing to name our soap "black bellamy soap".......... oh well.....made us giggle

okay so now what to do with the inside of the plantain? son 3 asked what they tasted like, and i tried to describe them. he said "so basically all the good taste of a banana taken out?"

i suppose fry them like chips...............

i will post on how the soap seems on the skin (2-4 weeks from now???)
HUGS
Lol when i was ina certain African country as a kid, there were street vendors all over frying them, and adding a type of fish to them i thought it was amazing....too bad i neverbreally knew what i was eating so no recipe. But may give youna starting point to start looking for recipes!

PrairieLights Likes This