My Version of Pear's Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend only use pear soap she ever because of her psoriasis. Then she start using my 100% olive oil soap. She wanted that I will scented my soap like pear but I am not sure what the scent because I never use it. Any idea guys?

First, let me give credit for the inspiration to the latest tutorial on M&P soap using only glycerin as a solvent and to the thread concerning pine rosin. I probably wouldn't have thought to try this recipe otherwise. When looking up the old ingredients for Pear's soap I found listed only 8 ingredients, water, saponified palm and coconut oils, glycerin, pine rosin, rosemary and thyme oils and pear essence fragrance. I didn't have thyme EO so I used cedarwood and lemon along with the rosemary EO. I also used Fresh Pear FO from Candlepro.com. This is a hot process recipe. The pine rosin is a bear to melt as it is gummy and sticky when heated. I suggest you melt it and the stearic acid along with Castor oil in the microwave. Add these melted ingredients at thin trace and stick blend. The mixture will seize, but don't worry, I just put the lid on my little crockpot and continued heating until the mixture loosened up and used the stick blender again to fully emulsify all of the ingredients.

Here is the ingredient list:

144 grams Castor Oil
144 grams coconut Oil
144 grams palm Oil
Few drops Vit. E.
18 grams stearic Acid
49 grams powdered pine rosin
72 grams sodium hydroxide
190 grams distilled water

Melt the solid oils, (I used a small crockpot insert and melted the solid oils in the microwave.) Melt stearic acid and pine rosin together with Castor oil in a microwave safe container. Add lye water to palm and coconut oils and blend to thin trace. Add stearic acid, pine rosin and Castor oil mixture and blend. As I said, the mixture will get very thick quickly. Put the lid on the crockpot and heat until mixture loosens up and looks like it is separating. Hit it again with the stick blender until it looks like a thick trace. Cook,
stirring every now and then, until mixture reaches Vaseline stage. Do a zap test. If there is no zap, add glycerin to the mixture and stir. Heat until all the paste is melted into the glycerin. Take off heat and add the FO and EO blend. Stir well and pour into mold. I used Bramble Berry's 12 bar mold.

After the cook add:
499 grams glycerin
3.4 grams cedarwood EO
3.4 grams lemon EO
3.4 grams rosemary EO
4 grams Fresh Pear FO

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to help.

I made this recipe but the soap its a bit sticky. I used liquid glycerin, and now I wondering if I had to use solid glycerin instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glycerin is a liquid at room temperature. If you used pure glycerin, you used the right thing.

I have never heard of pure glycerin being a solid. Transparent soap is sometimes called "glycerin soap" or wrongly just "glycerin." Sometimes people confuse pure glycerin with transparent soap due to this confusion. The solid soap, no matter what it is called, is not the same as pure glycerin (aka glycerine or glycerol).

I'm not sure about that, @Misschief. I've never heard about using frankincense as an alternative to rosin, but both are tree resins so it might work fine. Rosin is probably a less expensive.

The Soaping 101 lady did a video some years ago about using Dragon's Blood resin in soap -- check Youtube for "Soapmaking with Resin {dragons blood drop swirl} S2W29" so it's within the realm of reason.

You may be able to get some kind of rosin from your area.
I picked some up at a local dance studio supply.. ie costumes shoes etc

I'm not sure about that, @Misschief. I've never heard about using frankincense as an alternative to rosin, but both are tree resins so it might work fine. Rosin is probably a less expensive.

The Soaping 101 lady did a video some years ago about using Dragon's Blood resin in soap -- check Youtube for "Soapmaking with Resin {dragons blood drop swirl} S2W29" so it's within the realm of reason.
Also pine Rosin, is the powder that's left after the process that removes the natural turpentine from the pine resin (sap)

I have noticed that in the old tradicional way of making soap, such as Aleppo soaps, Nablus, Marseille, Patounis soap, after the soap in cooked they add some sea salt mixed with water in order to get rid of the excess of caustic soda, and glycerin and other impurities from the soap. Then they bleed the mixture through a tap located at the bottom of the pot. The result is a soap more pure that doesn´t get mushy if we leave it on water. Does anyone know the amount of salt and water require per pound or kilo or soap? I add here a video where you can see this process, in the minute 8.33 you can see how they guy open the tap.

Sorry I didnt know how to create a new thread and invite other, so I put my question here

Sorry I didnt know how to create a new thread and invite other, so I put my question here

Psst.. If you scroll to the very bottom of a page, you'll see a button to create new thread. Once you've posted that, others will see it and respond, no need to invite :)

I'm using a phone, but it's more or less where it is even on the computer ^^ Screenshot_20181122-011515.png

Eldon, this is an old thread. I don't know whether your question refers to my version of Pears soap or the post with the video. I don't sell soap online anymore and I haven't made this recipe for quite a while. I don't have any of this recipe on hand.

First, let me give credit for the inspiration to the latest tutorial on M&P soap using only glycerin as a solvent and to the thread concerning pine rosin. I probably wouldn't have thought to try this recipe otherwise. When looking up the old ingredients for Pear's soap I found listed only 8 ingredients, water, saponified palm and coconut oils, glycerin, pine rosin, rosemary and thyme oils and pear essence fragrance. I didn't have thyme EO so I used cedarwood and lemon along with the rosemary EO. I also used Fresh Pear FO from Candlepro.com. This is a hot process recipe. The pine rosin is a bear to melt as it is gummy and sticky when heated. I suggest you melt it and the stearic acid along with Castor oil in the microwave. Add these melted ingredients at thin trace and stick blend. The mixture will seize, but don't worry, I just put the lid on my little crockpot and continued heating until the mixture loosened up and used the stick blender again to fully emulsify all of the ingredients.

Here is the ingredient list:

144 grams Castor Oil
144 grams coconut Oil
144 grams palm Oil
Few drops Vit. E.
18 grams stearic Acid
49 grams powdered pine rosin
72 grams sodium hydroxide
190 grams distilled water

Melt the solid oils, (I used a small crockpot insert and melted the solid oils in the microwave.) Melt stearic acid and pine rosin together with Castor oil in a microwave safe container. Add lye water to palm and coconut oils and blend to thin trace. Add stearic acid, pine rosin and Castor oil mixture and blend. As I said, the mixture will get very thick quickly. Put the lid on the crockpot and heat until mixture loosens up and looks like it is separating. Hit it again with the stick blender until it looks like a thick trace. Cook,
stirring every now and then, until mixture reaches Vaseline stage. Do a zap test. If there is no zap, add glycerin to the mixture and stir. Heat until all the paste is melted into the glycerin. Take off heat and add the FO and EO blend. Stir well and pour into mold. I used Bramble Berry's 12 bar mold.

After the cook add:
499 grams glycerin
3.4 grams cedarwood EO
3.4 grams lemon EO
3.4 grams rosemary EO
4 grams Fresh Pear FO

Hope this makes sense. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to help.
Will be trying. Just got my pear fragrance from ng yesterday.

What size are the bars this recipe makes ? My molds are approx 4 oz. I guess it won't matter. Just ordered powdered pine rosin. Gathering the rest of the ingredients and have been obsessing today.

I have used Pears for years and I may take a stab at pine tar soap as well. Nose bleeding.... way over my skis.....

Well, it's on. Gathered all the ingredients but need a few more ounces of castor oil. Have to pick that up and everything will be set.
I measured everything out last night. I am not happy with my EOs [not very potent] or the fragrance profile I adapted from your adaptation ISG. I may just use cedarwood and lemon.
This works or I am back to three ingredient recipes. There are two pounds of back up lard in the fridge.

Fragrance cooked off, so zero scent. I had them under a fan for three weeks and rotated them. They never cleared up.
Educational value: off the charts though

Back