Need a curing rack!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphishiker

Reaction score
Soap is taking over our apartment. We officially have no where to eat!! Any suggestions for curing rack. Heard about shoe racks and racks fron Lowes. thanks for any help!

IMGP0605.jpg

If you are handy my husband built me a rake using old refigerator racks. He asked our Apt maintence man if he was throwing out any old units and took the racks. He made a wooden frame for them and we stake them in our walkin closet.

We use Edsal Boltless Rivet Shelving from Sam's Club. They are great, and one holds so much! We paid about $65 per unit.

image.jpg

Ive been thinking about trying to find racks from a dishwasher. But if i cant they sell bookshelves for $20-30 (20 for small 30 for huge) bookshelves at target

i use plastic vegetable trays which i glean for free from our local market man or even the supermarkets, they're free and the shops are always glad to get rid of them, plus they stack - they stack waaaay high!

I bought 3 plastic shelving units from wallyworld that has the holes in each shelf. Works great. I have them lined up along the wall in my spare room. They aren't full of soap, I only have 1 with soap on it, the other 2 have my soaping supplies and utencils stacked on them. One for ingredients; oils, butters, FO, and colorants, and the other has pots, pans, piping accessories, and molds and various plastic containers that I plan on using in the future.......

All sounds like good options no too many choices??? I need to find the right one that still doesn't look a mess since all of my soap stuff will probably be in the dining room. Hopefully the soap will look like ART!!!

I went to Lowe's and bought a plastic shelf unit for $28. 4 large shelves, cheap and very stable. Then I pointed a fan at it, and put a small eva-dry dehumidifier in the room near the shelves.

Yep still not sure what to get but I have a lot more choices now. I need some where to "hide" my soap so our apartment isn't one big Soapin' studio. :)

My main rack is a baker's rack - I stack soap on the top rack and then the main shelf and the shelves below hold all of my soaping materials. Otherwise I buy smaller 2-3 shelf wire racks and stash them whereever I can.

Also consider buying wire shelves that you mount directly to the wall. If your finances are tight, you can buy 1-2 shelves at a time. I think they're around $12-15 each at a hardware store, plus $1-2 for the mounting hardware.

I am glad someone posted about using a fan! I have wondered about that. I have my soap on a plastic shelving unit from Home Depot. It holds a lot of soap. Right now I have about 200 bars on it. I think I will try the fan trick.

I use wire shelf racks that you can buy from most any big box store. Air circulate freely and you can get a lot of soap on one rack.

This is what I do too. Added benefit is that they're classy looking and my soap looks really pretty in them :) So I don't mind that they take up a slice of the entire hallway, a lot of the living room wall space, and most of a small bathroom :)

I just missed a great deal -- rats -- a general store that was going out of business and selling dozens of wire racks at really low prices. Might want to check out local businesses who use these and ask who their suppliers are?

If you buy two of the rack at Lowes or Home Depot with plastic legs, you can cut the legs in half and have ten shelves in the space of 5 shelves. Instead of 12 inch space between you have 6 inches between the shelves.

If you buy two of the rack at Lowes or Home Depot with plastic legs, you can cut the legs in half and have ten shelves in the space of 5 shelves. Instead of 12 inch space between you have 6 inches between the shelves.

Where do you get the extra shelves?

Righ tnow I am just using my hall closet and also a 5-shelf bookshelf in my room. The bookshelf uses those metal pins to hold shelves up and is a djustable, so I will eventually be able to put 4 more shelves on it. I worry about what may happen come summer though. My room is the hottest room in the house and is an absolute oven in the summer time, sometimes it has been hotter in my room then outside. Where is a good place to keep soap cool... probably back in the hall closet.

Where do you get the extra shelves?
I know this is a crude drawing. But you take two units and make one with twice the shelves.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back