Mental Note to self

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance71975

Reaction score
When using Beer in soap, be ready for a near instant trace! Literally 45 seconds to trace. Also, Mental note to self, Mix lye in water NOT beer it doesn't dissolve well in Home brewed beer.

I got a bad feeling this batch is gonna be a total flop...

Did you let the beer go flat first?

Don't despair just yet. Your soap may turn out fine in the end.

I'm one of those soapers who hates to mix my lye in anything but water. It's just less of a hassle for me, and in many cases, less stinky, too (try mixing it with coffee sometime and you'll smell what I mean)! :lol:

When I make my beer soap I make a beer concentrate of sorts by boiling the beer down until it's reduced in half (takes about 20 minutes), and then I use it as half my liquid amount and stickblend it into my oils. The other half of my liquid amount is water which is contained in my pre-mixed 50% lye solution, which gets added to my oils/beer. This works well for me and doesn't accelerate my trace.

IrishLass :)

Glad I read this post as I am making beer soap tomorrow.

Hope yours turns out great :wink:

IrishLass said:
Did you let the beer go flat first?

Don't despair just yet. Your soap may turn out fine in the end.

I'm one of those soapers who hates to mix my lye in anything but water. It's just less of a hassle for me, and in many cases, less stinky, too (try mixing it with coffee sometime and you'll smell what I mean)! :lol:

When I make my beer soap I make a beer concentrate of sorts by boiling the beer down until it's reduced in half (takes about 20 minutes), and then I use it as half my liquid amount and stickblend it into my oils. The other half of my liquid amount is water which is contained in my pre-mixed 50% lye solution, which gets added to my oils/beer. This works well for me and doesn't accelerate my trace.

IrishLass :)

Nope i just poured a glass outta my keg in my bedroom(really i dont drink often lol). I will say this it did make a pretty cool looking smoke/haze in the sink.

I think next time ill cut my water amount down and add the rest in beer at the same time i add my lye to the oils.

The key is to boil the alcohol out of the beer. Alcohol, as you learned, can make soap accelerate big time or seize.

I mix my lye with water, let it cool down, then add the beer, let it cool down, then add to soaping oils. Comes out great.

Here's an example:

beersoap.jpg

flavapor said:
what is the benefit of beer soap?
Beer is giving more bubbles and really good for washing hair, also i make beer shaving soap

judymoody said:
The key is to boil the alcohol out of the beer. Alcohol, as you learned, can make soap accelerate big time or seize.

I mix my lye with water, let it cool down, then add the beer, let it cool down, then add to soaping oils. Comes out great.

Here's an example:

beersoap.jpg

Yup that i did learn, but i would guess the lye reaction boiled most of the Alcohol out.

Vance I'm a homebrewer too and tonite I found myself wondering whether to put my coriander in my wheat beer or in my soap. My Mother in law is using my beer soap on her hair. She is in her seventies and says it really conditions it. I used two bottles for a three lb. batch. Also the only all tallow soap I have made. That is one hard soap. I love the way Judy did hers. Did you use a fragrance?

Lilahblossom said:
Vance I'm a homebrewer too and tonite I found myself wondering whether to put my coriander in my wheat beer or in my soap. My Mother in law is using my beer soap on her hair. She is in her seventies and says it really conditions it. I used two bottles for a three lb. batch. Also the only all tallow soap I have made. That is one hard soap. I love the way Judy did hers. Did you use a fragrance?

Nope thus far i have stayed away from Fragrances, Primarily because i cant afford the quality natural ones at this point. I would use the Coriander in the Wheat beer myself, i love a good Coriander spiced wheat! Add some sweet Orange Peel and use Amarillo hops and that is a beer to die for! Wheat IPA with All Amarillo is also Amazing!

Do you brew Extract or All Grain? I started on extract, i love the simplicity of it but i just didn't like the lack of choices in what was in the extract so i switched to all grain.

vance - the clumping and precipitation problems I believe are caused by alcohol and carbonation. I get beer lye solution that gives me no problems when I let the beer sit in the fridge uncovered for a week or so. I can dump the lye in all at once with beer prepared like that and it doesn't do jack. The clumping can be dealt with by adding lye very slowly while stirring... I've tried the boiling method with mixed results. If I ever do the boiling again it would be to make it into a syrup to add before pour or at trace. Like the previous poster said if your soap accelerated its probably because there was still alcohol present. I haven't had any acceleration since I started using the fridge method.

Vance you ARE a homebrewer lol. Ya coriander goin in the wheat. I soak orange zest in white rum while beer is brewing then add in the bottling. As far as the beer soap goes, I also added the boiled beer at trace. I don't know if it makes a difference. I used tea tree oil to fragrance. But next time I'm going to use the honey ale FO from Bramble Berry. Let us know how your next batch comes out!

Lilahblossom said:
Vance you ARE a homebrewer lol. Ya coriander goin in the wheat. I soak orange zest in white rum while beer is brewing then add in the bottling. As far as the beer soap goes, I also added the boiled beer at trace. I don't know if it makes a difference. I used tea tree oil to fragrance. But next time I'm going to use the honey ale FO from Bramble Berry. Let us know how your next batch comes out!

Yup I am also a Published Home brewing Author lol. Sorry it took so long to reply i was having some glitch that i kept getting an error every time i tried to do anything at all on the Forum.

I boil my beer down to 80% of what was in it. Usually 3 bottles or three mugs from the keg and then cool in the fridge for a day to week then pour directly into that. if I am lacking a few ounces I add water. The boiling it down makes for a stronger color.

Padamae said:
I boil my beer down to 80% of what was in it. Usually 3 bottles or three mugs from the keg and then cool in the fridge for a day to week then pour directly into that. if I am lacking a few ounces I add water. The boiling it down makes for a stronger color.

Well ALL beer i brew is light brown or darker. I'm not much of a light beer guy so color isn't much of an issue lol.

Padamae said:
I wish we could get more types if beer for our keg this town only has two or three options

Brew your own my friend! It is easy, if you can make soap you can make beer, soap is actually harder to make than beer is to brew!

If your problem is finding ingredients i recommend http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ Highly! that is my go to site for everything but hops, they are great people!

Awesome. Thank you. Maybe what my husband can do. I at this time am working 80 hours a week and he us my house husband / rancher.

Latest posts

Back