Tomato Paste for color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Okay I am making this great Calendula soap I got off of a website. I was thinking of coloring it with organic tomato paste. Has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? Can this cause or speed up DOS?
Here is the recipe.
http://www.soap-making-resource.com/cal ... ecipe.html
I love this site by the way. I am going to purchase one of these molds soon. My DH gets a bonus in a few weeks and I am going to town.

As carebear said, there are a lot of posts on using tomato paste and other vegetable/fruit purees.

But why? Calendula makes a pretty yellow. Why cover it up?

That's interesting! Being a noobie, I have no idea, but if you try it you should post pictures. I'd be curious if the acidity in the tomato would do anything to the soap...

My son really likes tomato in his soap, and the slight scrubbie that. It adds, but I'm with Judy, I would not use it with calendula cuz then you wouldn't see it. If you want to make the calendula a touch more orange you could try carrot powder.

shockabooie said:
That's interesting! Being a noobie, I have no idea, but if you try it you should post pictures. I'd be curious if the acidity in the tomato would do anything to the soap...

No, it doesn't affect the soap. The amount one would use to color soap is too negligible. I use it quite often as a colorant whenever I need a peachy/orange color, and my soaps come out fine. If I remember right, I think Carebear even makes a facial soap using tomato juice as her liquid with great results.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
shockabooie said:

No, it doesn't affect the soap. The amount one would use to color soap is too negligible. I use it quite often as a colorant whenever I need a peachy/orange color, and my soaps come out fine. If I remember right, I think Carebear even makes a facial soap using tomato juice as her liquid with great results.

IrishLass :)

OH! that's so cool. I never would have guessed you could use so many different things in soap! Thanks for the info. :)

The soap I made with tomato paste faded considerably over a year's time. I think I used about 1tbsp ppo, maybe a bit less. It was a nice peachy orange while it lasted though.

Latest posts

Back