Antioxidants/Preservatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm884

Reaction score
Does anyone use any antioxidants or perservatives when making soap? Such as Vitamin E? I want to use some oils that have a short life and don't want DOS.

You can add ROE or Vit E to your oils when you first open them. Roughly a teaspoon to a gallon. ?? Not too many people add it to their batches, but some do and swear by it.

I have used vit e frequently. I add it at trace I have hardly seen dos only a few times on lighter soaps. My friends love my coffee soap and my green tea hemp soap. I use my green tea hemp soap as a face soap for about 2 and half years now. My step daughter says it helped her teen acne and my daughter hardly has a blemish. She uses it too and other things. But bothe my coffee and tea soaps get 4-5 caps of vit. E.

So to answer your question I am not sure vit e prevents the dos or I cannot see dos in the darker soaps. I have to make a batch of each a month to keep up with the damand. So I maynot have them around long enough. I had one tucked in a box for a year though and no dos was on it.

I made rose persimmon soap 3 weeks ago with red wine. I forgot the vit. E. I will keep a bar to the side and watch for dos. It is a soft pinkish tan color.

Padamae said:
I have used vit e frequently. I add it at trace I have hardly seen dos only a few times on lighter soaps. My friends love my coffee soap and my green tea hemp soap. I use my green tea hemp soap as a face soap for about 2 and half years now. My step daughter says it helped her teen acne and my daughter hardly has a blemish. She uses it too and other things. But bothe my coffee and tea soaps get 4-5 caps of vit. E.

So to answer your question I am not sure vit e prevents the dos or I cannot see dos in the darker soaps. I have to make a batch of each a month to keep up with the damand. So I maynot have them around long enough. I had one tucked in a box for a year though and no dos was on it.

I made rose persimmon soap 3 weeks ago with red wine. I forgot the vit. E. I will keep a bar to the side and watch for dos. It is a soft pinkish tan color.

Has anyone else used the vitamin e in capsule form and noticed good results? I always thought that vitamin e didn't survive the soaping process.

Back