Canadians ordering from US Suppliers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sknflower

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm considering placing a large order to Jedwards Inc. The weight will come in at 140 pounds and the value is $302.00. I'm ok with what they are showing for shipping charges but I'm worried about brokerage fees. Has anyone in Canada made a large order to a US company and if so, can you give me a ball park idea of what to expect?

Let me tell you about my terrible experience with brokerage fees. I had made a large order with Wholesale Supplies Plus about 2 years ago. They advertise on their website that they have free shipping to Canada and the US, so I thought I'd be in the clear. I made an order of about 300 dollars, and got my shipment about a week later. When i got the delivery notice from UPS, it said I owed them $165!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. So I called UPS, and asked for a breakdown of the charges, and they were charging me over $55 in brokerage fees. The rest was duties and taxes. I had no choice but to pay the shipment fee, as Wholesale Supplies Plus would charge a 15% repacking fee if a package was returned. I was so upset. I paid $165 for shipping on a 300 dollar order. So I contacted wholesale supplies plus and told them how unhappy I was. They apologized and said that they have recieved emails from other canadians saying that the brokerage charges were outrageous. So they implemented a Canadian Shipping option and suggested that with my next order I use this method. I waited a few months before placing another order, as I was weary of the shipping cost. But when I did place another order, the shopping cart said that no shipment charge could be estimated until the warehouse had filled the order. I waited days before I got an email saying my package was shipped, and when i got that email, I had a heart attack. $202 was the cost of shipping. I was in a rage! I immediately called WSP and asked why the heck shipping charges were so outrageous on a $250 dollar order. The lady said that the shipping costs were related to the package's weight. I told her that I was advised by another employee to use the Canadian shipping option as it would be cheaper, and I was appalled that they would even charge 200 for shipping on a 250 dollar order. They did nothing for me. She didn't really care.

Just thinking about this makes me angry! :mad:

Back