Making Big Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
I've been looking to build very large molds, big enough to hold 50 - 100 bear each. They have to be rugged, simple and inexpensive. After searching for *days*, I think I found a winner. It's not perfect but hey, what is? :D

It's fiberglass "C" channel electrical conduit. I did a little math and the measurements come out to (finished bar size) 3-1/8" wide and 2-1/8" tall. It costs $49 for a 6 foot length.

Link...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#8523k22/=1wz772

I then took a bar and cut it to size (pic below). The ruler and soda can are to show size. My scale is at the shop but I'm guessing it's around 3.5 ounce. Let me know what you think.

IMG_3404.JPG

I think it is strickly your personal preferences. I love to make large batches but I've learned to only use tried and true recipes:) As kitn says: "Ask me how I know" lol

donnie I would definately suggest you go look at the horrid lil shapes of the natural soap on sale at Whole Foods at 10th and South, then right accross the Street at the "Green" Store. The bars available for sale in our area are so pitifully small and brittle looking.

I would suggest if your bar is an improvement on whats currently available, then it should be a success.

Those demensions are not bad. If you cut them thicker, say like 1.25 inches that would make them a bit more substantial.

DonnieJ-

I have also seen rain gutter downspout used, although I don't know how she got the soap out of the mold. She used end caps to close off one end, then stood the downspouts between the bathroom wall and a towel bar, once filled. She sliced them off at about 1.25 inches thickness. They were a nice shape, sort of a rounded rectangle. This was before I was really making soap- didn't know the right questions to ask (like how to get it out of the pipe)

phillysoaps said:
donnie I would definately suggest you go look at the horrid lil shapes of the natural soap on sale at Whole Foods at 10th and South, then right accross the Street at the "Green" Store. The bars available for sale in our area are so pitifully small and brittle looking.

Thanks for the tip.
I have a friend who lives a few blocks from there... I'll be sure to check it out next time I see him.

bombus said:
DonnieJ-

I have also seen rain gutter downspout used, although I don't know how she got the soap out of the mold. She used end caps to close off one end, then stood the downspouts between the bathroom wall and a towel bar, once filled. She sliced them off at about 1.25 inches thickness. They were a nice shape, sort of a rounded rectangle. This was before I was really making soap- didn't know the right questions to ask (like how to get it out of the pipe)

I thought about doing the same but I don't like the shape. I also used 2" PVC tubing but it's a little small and it's *really* hard to get the bars out. I have a few other ideas as well but the fiberglass conduit I posted seems the easiest one so far.

Hi Donniej

I have seen some that use vinyl guttering down spout for their tube molds. They don't look bad at all to me. You might go look at one somewhere and see if that is kinda what your looking for. OR You could go to U-tube and type in Nancy today ....... she uses those and you can get a look at the finished product. She cracks me up!

Val

The bars I just made (the failed swirls) are the size of your u channel, an inch thick and about 3.5 oz prior to curing.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86313

I look at them and think they are smaller than a normal bar of soap. I personally like the size, but it just doesn't look very substantial.

Before I made my own soap I would buy the affordable natural soaps at Target.

I can tell you what "I" (as the consumer) would look for in a bar. First, that it was natural, second cheap, and third that it had a simple scent like green tea (or "green" fragrance), citrus, or some sort of ocean scent. Something unisex as my husband isn't much for florals.

They were usually about 4 oz. per bar or so. I didn't want a 3 oz bar because that just wouldn't last as long.

I have a couple of the natural soaps and they are 3.75 x 2.25 x 1 and 4 oz. They always felt like a good bar of soap for size. I know I made my bars smaller but they go pretty fast in the shower.

It looks like the soap size is about 3.25 x 2 x whatever you want at

www.soapequipment.com that heartsong posted. If you cut them to 1.25" that would feel substantial.

Pretty similar to your mold.

You have to stop doing that. everytimeI see soapmakingequipment.com my credit card gets hot, I so want that stuff but I'm sooo not ready for that kind of volume.

Jeremy said:
You have to stop doing that. everytimeI see soapmakingequipment.com my credit card gets hot, I so want that stuff but I'm sooo not ready for that kind of volume.

did you see their round soap setup? it would seem rather easy to dulicate. after they have set up, you could push them out to whatever thickness and lice them at the end of the tube-less handling. wouldn't require a cutting system.

you could then shrinkwrap them or possible foil wrap-possibilities are endless.

just a thought... :D

Back