1st Annual Design The Mold of Your Dreams Competition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyG

Mold Meister
Reaction score
1st Annual Design The Mold of Your Dreams Competition
After speaking with a few people and browsing through posts there does seem to be some interest in different mold shapes, so we thought we would sponsor a little competition. We would also like to thank staff and admins here at Soap Making Forum for giving us permission to do so.
Please keep in mind that we are still in the testing and prototyping phase, we haven't actually started production yet. So these may not be quite as finished looking as our production molds will, but they will be functional.
With that said, here we go. From now until midnight, 8-12-17, post your “Loaf” and “Bar” soap shape designs here. Just reply to this post. You can post your design for either category, or both, it's entirely your decision. Please make sure you label each of your entries accordingly along with a detailed description. e.g.
{“LOAF DESIGN” - Description} {“BAR DESIGN” - Description}
Once the design phase of the contest is complete, we will compile the most popular designs into a voting poll. Then, beginning 8-13-17 and running until 8-19-17, community members may vote for their favorite designs in each category. We will then tally the votes and make a silicone mold of each winning shape and ship them to the winners.
Members can vote for as many shapes as they want, including their own. Make sure you vote for the ideas you like. Even if your design isn't chosen, make sure one you like is, because you still have a shot of winning that one instead! In addition to the two winners, we will be giving away a second set of molds randomly. Still trying to determine how we're going to give the second set away, but we'll update once we've decided.
Have Fun and Good Luck to Everyone!

Loaf Design- Two piece yin yang. Each cavity produces a loaf that when sliced is half of the yin-yang shape.

Loaf Design- Lego minifig. Detail (faces, clothing) can be added to cut bars by painting with mica. A lid incorporating the Lego style base on the inside surface would make the bars compatible with building block sets (if the opening of the mold is the base of the figurines).

Loaf Design- Rings/bracelets. Produce cylinders of soap that can be cut into rings of varying width. Multiple cavity sizes (per mold even?) give the crafter flexibility in design. Cavities would probably work best oriented horizontally across the width of the mold.

Loaf Design- Splat! An asymmetric splatter type shape.

Loaf Design- Gems. Five-sided 'diamond' shaped loaf.

For what it's worth, I think it would be a good idea to choose your random mold winners from the people who post in this thread. Not just entering your design contest, but even just commenting.

BAR DESIGN- a cat in profile sitting.. Not stylized but as anatomically correct as one can get.Head perfectly level as if paying attention to something in the distance.Tail straight out from body with a gentle arc towards the end one third.
A shorthair domestic cat so the sinewy musculature inherent of all cats is not lost on a bunch of fur.

Loaf Design: Tall & Skinny small batch. If I could pick dimensions, 2.25-2.5 W by 3.5 T by 4.5-5.5 L. (This is because I cut my bars 1.25 thick and would allow for trimming the ends, and I would end up with 3 or 4 bars.

Loaf Design: Equilateral Triangle

Bar Design: Large rock/stone molds with interesting corners and crevices. Doing some investigating for ideas for this months soap challenge, there really aren't too many molds out there. QVC has some rock soaps for sale- 3-4oz soaps for $22-24.00 plus S&H. - Now that's some good money. I would like 5-5.5 oz molds; still small enough to handle but large enough to make a statement piece in a soap dish.

Bar Design: Cannabis Leaf Bar soap molds - 5 to 5.5 ounce size; Leaf raised about 1/4 to 3/8 inch on top long surface of bar; Bar rectangular in shape, but somewhat rounded as shown in attached photo below the raised leaf; Leaf veining, shape & characteristics as realistic as the attached photo. Leaf with 9 fingers plus the stem. Measurements of the bar: approx 3.5 inches by 2.25 inches by 1.5 inches (where 1.5 inches is the height from the bottom of the bar to the highest point of the curved cannabis leaf) Preferably 3 or 4 bars per mold.

The mold in attached photo is currently sold as a single bar mold on Etsy, and I include it because it's the best looking one I have found.

ETA: Another variant to this would be to include a short tunnel for adding a rope so the soaper can create a 'Dope on a Rope' soap if they do a hemp oil soap. I mention it as a variant option and not the main design, because not everyone would want to create soap on a rope. But I have seen soaps of that name sold, so the interest is obviously there. (The rope to be added to the mold prior to pouring the batter. The rest of the rope would hang outside the mold.)

Cannabis Leaf Mold - Etsy shop.jpg

Last edited:
Slab Loaf design

I would like a hobby-sized slab mold that would hold a 32 ounce batch. Approximately 6.5" x 8.5" x 1.5". Individual soap bar dividers that could be added after the pour and chop stick stir would be great. Maybe a 2 for the width by 4 for the length divider to create 8 bars.

If you wanted to add insert end pieces that could hold length-wise dividers to create even pouring areas that would be just super! Five length-wise dividers would divide the slab into six even portions and then be cut along the center for two long loaves.

I can find plenty of two pound hobby-sized molds for long, tall loaves. But right now if I want to try my hand at a slab I am stuck using a cardboard box with buckles along the sides.

I did find a shadow box frame yesterday from Walnut Hallow yesterday. Its a bit to wide and not deep enough to give head room for the plastic wrap once the pour is done. But it will give you the idea.

Oh ... and since this is the DREAM mold ... could you add a simple wooden lid.

Thank you for even considering this idea.

soap085.jpg

soap1076.jpg

Last edited:
Bar Mould - Clouds! 3D cloud-shape where each cavity produces a 4-5oz bar. (I have seen smaller silicone molds like this but not big enough for decent sized bars of soap)

Loaf Mould - Honeycomb. A normal long, rectangular loaf mold with honey-comb textured sides and bottom.

Bar Mold - "Soap on a Rope" cavity molds. Each cavity produces a cylindrical/spherical bar with a hole running through the center to weave your rope through. Could be a simple "paper towel" cylindrical shape or something fun and textured like the sphere attachment.

Bar Mold - Rubber Ducky! Each cavity would produce a 4-5oz rubber ducky shaped bar. (I have seen smaller silicone molds like this but not big enough for decent sized bars of soap)

Bar Mold - Dragon eggs!!! Once again, 4-5oz cavities would be wonderful. Because they're spherical, I'm not sure what approach is best when it comes to how the mold would work. If it could be two pieces that interconnect and seal water-tight with just a small pouring hole at the top, then you could pull the pieces apart to remove the hardened egg.

Flaky-font-b-clouds-b-font-shaped-font-b-silicone-b-font-font-b-mold-b.jpg

Z9A8914_1024x1024.jpg

Artboard 18.png

2ec4746c4bea0d4072d2e777a50a5462--shower-steamers-rubber-duck.jpg

game-of-thrones-dragon-eggs3-640x533.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:
I edited my previous post to include a variant option to the mold. My idea would not require a tunnel through the entire soap, just a spot where the rope would be inserted before the batter is poured into the mold.

A variant of toxikon's cloud bar-

Loaf design- cloud. A bar that presents a silhouette of a fluffy cumulous cloud, small enough to be used as an embed in a regular size rectangle loaf. I've had this image in my head since I started making soap of a fluffy white cloud with a silver mica lining floating in the middle of a sky blue bar.

And I love the idea of a small slab mold. I want a good slab mold, maybe with bar inserts even, but all the ones I find are way too big for the bitty one and two pound batches that I'm making currently.

Great ideas all around!

I apologize for this terrible drawing (ack...)

This has been a dream of mine like forever. It may be a bad idea, but here goes!
I haven`t seen anything quite like this, so I couldn`t just upload an image of what I want. Other molds I have seen are ether round, oval or rectangular with rounded edges. And if they were remotely squared they would be just single molds, not put together.

I want a"slab mold" type for making massagebars with finely grounded pumice. The round thingies (I think that is the technical term, heh..) are nubs, dots or "fingertips" that will be raised higher up from the soap, to provide the massage effect.

Could be a larger sized bar of 6oz, so they will last longer and feel like a special item, also suitable for a man. If people think that is way to big perhaps 4.5 - 5oz will also work?

I do know that TwowildHares have great massagebar molds, but I don`t quite like the (oval) shape of them for this project, so I wanted to have them shaped more like my drawing, with a inwards slant so you would get a firm grip. Err, at least a firmer grip, as soap are slippery anyway.

Thanks for listening!

IMG_20170808_212807.jpg

IMG_20170808_212822.jpg

Last edited:
Bar mold, with honeycomb pattern and bees or a skep (old fashioned hive). Bars need to be at least 4 ounces, preferably 4.5 to 5 ounce. A specialized honeycomb bar like this would be very popular with beekeepers at a minimum I believe.

ETA realistic looking, not cartoonish. There's enough of that out there.

Last edited:
BAR DESIGN - dog paw that would make a 3-4 oz bar. The back side would have filigree or scroll work, and on the front the 4 toes and the pad would be raised and would have filigree or scroll work.

LOAF DESIGN - the bottom would have flowers and the sides would have leafy vines. So when you slice and turn the bars over, there are flowers on the top and leaves and vines leading up to the flowers.

BAR DESIGN: This
https://www.etsy.com/listing/451897...d8fmE9V-AkOO23l4nBp7z4jtXALNmha8aAh7ZEALw_wcB

But with honeycomb on the back as well.

Ooooo I was just saying I wish I could find this:

Bar Design - curved bar. There's single hard plastic molds but those crack so something in silicone - the bar curves up similar to the dial bar shape so it's easy to grab off a flat surface.

Other ideas:

Loaf Design - car outline. Just a simple "kid" car outline but a loaf so you can slice it into 3-4 oz bars.

Loaf design-the cannabis leaf idea but in a loaf version for 4oz bars!

Loaf design-Beer stein outline for 4oz bars

Loaf design - Wine glass outline for 4oz bars

Loaf design-alien spaceship outline for 4 oz bars.

Basically if you could take all the hard plastic molds that crack and make them in silicone I'd be happy LOL. Not the trademarked designs obviously but simple outline shapes. Looking forward to see this!

Back