Crumbly soap, micas changed color, same temp and recipe as my other soap. What happen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaJensen

Reaction score
I made 3 batches of soap a couple of days ago. I unmolded yesterday after 24 hours of being in the mold.

33% grapeseed
33% Shea butter
20% PKO
13% CO76•
Super fat at 5%
Water 33%

Oil temps 97 (all 3 batches)
Lye water temps 98 (all 3 batches)

1 and 3rd loafs came out fine
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139611.241996.jpg

2nd loaf came out pretty in design but every bar is crumbly....WHY??? Same recipe just different fragrance and colors.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139755.960590.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139771.178086.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139785.628425.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139802.860928.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139821.354871.jpg
You get the picture by now... I don't know what happened but every bar is cracking and crumbling every time you pick up a bar.

Second issue with batch 2..
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139905.522645.jpg
The white was supposed to be indigo blue but that darn mica is turning from a beautiful blue to white/off white.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396139980.346913.jpg
This was another batch that I made several weeks ago with a fragrance I've used before and know it behaves well. I used the indigo blue and BAM that was the first time the color turned on me. I wondered if I was soaping at too high of a temp so the 2nd batch was my second attempt at using this mica.

Also the blue you see in the soap was a deep purple pigment which turned blue.

So my question since I did 3 batches at once and didn't have a problem with the other two. Is it the fragrance or the colors or sheer bad luck that a soap goes crumbly on me. How can I prevent this and does anyone else have any suggestions on what to do with this indigo blue from tkb. It's a beautiful color but obviously not for cp.

HELP!

I'm not sure.. I measured out the lye in 3 separate containers and my hubby mixed the lye waters one after another. I know that all three measurements where spot on. I master-batched the oils on the stove and mixed well before measuring into 3 bowls then letting them all sit to cool.

What I don't do anymore is master-batch lye water. The oils I measure for 3 batches at a time and put in my big pot and slowly melt the butters and any oil that has hardened.

I really just can't put my finger on this. I don't want to loose any more material but I feel like doing 3 batches at once is no different than doing 1.

How long are the oils sitting before pouring into separate containers and what is the temp? Oils will have different densities and could be layering even if not obvious to you.

As soon as the oils and butters where melted around 119• they where poured into 3 separate containers. I weighed all the oils to 3 equal parts in each container then let all the oils cool.

I'm also wondering if your batch could be lye heavy, the numbers above are 99% instead of 100%. I've made mistakes on a batch and not realized what was wrong until I reworked every step. Also is it possible that the color is Indian blue? That color will morph, hope you figure out what happened, your swirls are so pretty.

Missing the 1% of the oils could be playing in but I've made a -3% SF soap and it doesn't necessarily turn out crumbly (nor does it zap).

I see you have over 30% of your oils as coconut and PKO. It's possible your soap gets very hard and if you try to cut it when it's too hard, it will break, especially at the top or bottoms of a cut, which is what you show. I don't see it looking crumbly in the middle. SOmetimes soaps will become crumbly if you add too much colorant- can't tell as it all turned white.

Did you look under the soap list for your micas from TKB? They don't have too many blues or purples that are soap safe.

THis is their current list of soap safe micas:http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.php?category_id=27&page=g

I should also add that certain FO's can make the bar harder at 24 hours than another FO might (like florals and other accelerators) which then would make it more brittle to cut, esp at the bottoms of the cuts. You have only 33% in soft oils, so this is naturally a hard bar already.

Back