Shrink Bags, Heat Sealing and M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nc.marula

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Previously I've always wrapped my soaps in plastic wrap and slapped a label on the back. I went and got some 4X6 shrink bags and decided to give that a go with my heat gun. Because it's a bag, 3 of the 4 sides are all sealed and worked just fine, but how do you seal the open side? After shrinking it's a really small slit, but I know M&P can sweat if not sealed. How do you resolve this? Or is it okay if it's not 100% sealed?

Thanks!

Someone once told me they use a flat iron to seal the edge then used a heat gun to shrink it. I just tape the end shut and use a blow dryer. If I forget to put the tape before applying heat I will just place a piece over the slit to close the gap when I am finished. The tape blends in with the shrink wrap.

nc.marula said:
Thanks for the reply soapbuddy; You have something like this? http://www.uline.ca/BL_2253/Tabletop-Po ... er-Impulse

Also, how do customers find the wrapping? I had a hard time opening the soap and ended up dinging/scraping it a bit..
Yes, that's what I have. The wire that I put in seals and cuts at the same time. I've seen my customers use scissors to open the wrapping.

I have done m&p in the long past and still have a woman who orders from me once every 3 years. I always use a hot hair dryer and the flat iron to seal it is a great idea! I was using tape but this is a really neat alternative.

I tried the flat iron method. but I have a Chi and it didn't work very well. :lol: I just wound up trimming the end of the bag, folding it like you would a present, putting a piece of satin finish tape on it, and shrinking it with the hair dyer. It worked like a charm. The tape blends in and you can't even see it. (Don't use matte finish tape.)

Back